Author Topic: Osage for lighter poundage English longbow?  (Read 4071 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Osage for lighter poundage English longbow?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 07:21:19 am »
    Maybe the 10% or so moisture content freezes giving you the same effect as a low M/C...I do know my draw weight increases in cold weather, but so does the spine on my wooden arrows...
                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 08:58:06 am »
I´ve built an elb: osage, 76@28, I feel no hand shock, and it shoots an 750gr arrow  for 225 yards, and my osage bows never break, yew is some kind of a bitch, especially if it gets to dry, sometimes the bows really explode.

Very good distance!!! Try it with a properly spined 450 or 500 grain arrow and see what it does?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 12:08:07 pm »
sometimes when a bow is inside in the heat, the moisure content is getting dangerously low...I had a sinew backed pecan blow up,, I measured the moisure,, it was below 6 %,, I had it in the warmest  room,, where there was a heater,, i had shot it all summer,, but it blew up in the winter conditions,, of course it was cold outside when I shot it,, but I dont think it was the cold,,not saying cold doesnt effect some woods,, my friend Jim Welch shot his bows in below freezing,, below 0 ,, no ill effect,, then again,, a bow thats a bit overbuilt gonna hold up better,, if its on the edge of design, cold or moisture content gonna be more of a consideration,,I am inspired to try a long bow, the ones I made in the past had no heat treating,, so want to see what I can with that design,, should be fun,, (-S
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:29:11 pm by bradsmith2010 »