Author Topic: Buck in the mist  (Read 26255 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Buck in the mist
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:06:27 pm »
Yesterday was the last day to bow hunt before shutting down here for gun season.It's been occasionally raining here with it staying foggy in between.The snow pack seems to help with that.The deer hunting Gods must have smiled a little on me as this buck came by yesterday evening before dark.Found him this morning.He went a good 75 paces I suppose.I thought it was a good shot but let him set yet over night.I had taken a pic of does that were around earlier showing the constant fog so I thought I'd throw that in there.Shot him with same bow and arrow as the doe shot earlier this season.48# Horn bow and a 560 grain dogwood with a 160 grain grizzly broadhead.

Did a skull mount on him.Good balanced rack.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:38:54 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Buck in the mist
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 05:10:14 pm »
That's a dandy buck Ed.  Congratulations.  I always liked hunting in the fog. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 05:46:17 pm »
Yup. That one will do! Yes, Ed, that will just do.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:20:30 pm »
Congratulations Ed. Nice buck, nice season. Lots of good meat in the freezer and all the other goodies I know you'll make use of.
Most of snow is gone here again. We get that fog when it rains and snow is on the ground to. Gun season finished last night. It'll be muzzleloader in a few more days. I'm still hoping to fill a doe tag and maybe get lucky enough for a four point or better on one side buck.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 06:33:29 pm »
Congrats! He is a dandy
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 07:15:55 pm »
Thanks fellas.
I'm pretty sure it's the buck I saw back on the 24th a week ago.It was a bit foggy then too.Horns look the same.Facial and neck markings look the same too.

Hopefully his brain tanned hide will be close to the same thickness as the buck back in 2015.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 07:25:21 pm »
Nice buck Ed, been foggy here also with rain on the snow. Another one to braintan? I have one coming out of the buck tomorrow and will be graining. Bob

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 07:51:25 pm »
Looks like the same buck to me
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 10:22:45 pm »
Fine deer ed, glad everything came together for you!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 04:30:48 am »
Way to go Ed...………..nice deer.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 05:12:55 am »
Thanks to all friends that hunt with these bows.You can understand just how it is and have all been there at 1 time or another.I'm no trick shooter I'll garauntee that.Persistence/educated quess's and a bit of luck can go a long ways though.Happy the Amish across the fence gun hunting did'nt get him because I'm sure they knew of him.
After skinning this buck I seen that he was run down a bit from the rut the last month and a half.By that I mean very little tallow on this fella.I think he was the dominant buck in the area.His scrapes were fairly close to my blind.Saw many deer pass but all out of range over a weeks time in the blind.Otherwise earlier I was in my tree stands with mostly the same results weeks prior to that.
Within range a few times was some bobwhites and an opposum besides the squirrels but not for long.Thought I might get a shot at a turkey but did'nt.The opposum at 1 time tried to come into the blind.I tapped him on the head with the tip of my bow.He looked surprised and left the way he came in.We'll probably see him again in the cat shed eating cat food later.I carried a BB gun I've used before shooing coon from our bird feeders with me to the blind the next day......Ha Ha.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:08:31 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 06:05:13 am »
Great buck Ed, but as you know it's all the little stories and memories that really make it all so special. I know the I'm no trick shooter but a bit of luck and persistence bit to. It just nice to get out there and see stuff. Even if it's just a opossum that wants to use your blind.
Once again a very heart felt congratulations on a great and memorable season.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 06:10:09 am »
Ed, hellova buck there.  Bucks grow to impressive mass, but what is most impressive to me is your bow! Is that the bamboo backed horn bow I saw at Mojam? If so, thats got to be the fastest sweetest shootin bow i have ever seen.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline HH~

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 06:46:54 am »
Great success. Fine looking deer in less than average weather conditions.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 06:53:36 am »
Yes it's good to see the diversity of animals healthy and hanging around.I watch them a lot even from the house.Helps make the woods what it is and can get a person to forget the normal things that can be stressful in life.
I did have this bow at Mo Jam.It is a very smooth shooter mid to full draw.Reason why I like to hunt with it.It's sinew backed though with close to 3/16" thickness of sinew at the fades.It took some time to fully cure.I used birch bark as a moisture barrier.Light tan in color and have'nt had any problem with the lighter shade spooking deer.I've got some bamboo strips yet from earlier builds of BBO's etc.I should make a plan or two for a build using them.I've seen some fantastic shades of green applied lately to bamboo backs that really impressed me plus they really do perform well and are durable too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:38:47 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed