Author Topic: Osage Bendy Layout *Now IPE/Bamboo Bendy  (Read 8110 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Osage Bendy Layout *Now IPE/Bamboo Bendy
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 03:37:17 pm »
Ben, by what I see your bow should not stack at 28. My advice would be to draw the bow by hand to see if it stacks....I doubt that it will. Remember that you need to sand it overall for finishing etc. I'm guessing you will wind up somewhere around 60#. Please advise on your thoughts about it's suitability for your hunting trips.
rich

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 03:55:38 pm »
Will do my friend. 
I'm loving the simplicity of it.  It weighs 13 oz.  I can't wait to put some arrows through it (SH)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:14:57 am by Bayou Ben »

Offline ohma2

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 10:27:18 am »
Geez i love the bend on that ,that circular look is eye candy.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 07:08:42 pm »
Spot on advice Rich.  3 sessions on the spot you highlighted and the angles now match....
BUT, in the process of exercising the limbs, the bamboo developed a slit of broken fibers.  It didn’t lift yet but it will.  I’m going to shave it all off and replace it with a new strip.  I’ll post updates of the progress. 
Man, I was looking forward to slinging some arrows this weekend :-\
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:39:29 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline half eye

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2018, 09:32:25 am »
what do you attribute the fiber problem to? I dont see any problem with your tiller.....is the failure running the length of the bow or across the limb?
rich

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2018, 11:41:56 am »
It was a defect in the boo.  I saw it when I glued it up, but didn’t think it would develop into a problem. Should’ve known better. 
I have it removed now.  Used a little heat since it was TB3 and it came up in one piece.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 08:11:47 am »
Ahhhhh the perils of wood bow making.
that bow was looking so good ,hope it works out for you.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2018, 08:50:16 am »
An update on this build: 
I got the backing off with a little heat.  I remember PatB mentioning that heat will lift TB3 glue, and it worked well if anyone needs to do it. 
I glued on another boo backing and started retillering.  There is a weak spot on one of the limbs due to node spacing differences between the 2 backings, and I have to reduce too much weight to fix it.  It will end up being less than 50 lbs so I'm putting it on the side for now. 
I did gain a bunch of experience with this build, so much thanks to Rich and others who helped me. 
I'm moving back to the osage stave originally posted.  It's roughed out to the dimensions that Rich suggested. 

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 07:14:22 pm »
 (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb