Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Tiller check
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:06:30 am »
Yew flat bow
59¼" ntn
4" low brace
43# target draw weight

Here I am at 18", and I must be missing something. It stands to reason there'd be a flat spot by now, but I haven't seen it; all I'm doing is uniformly removing material to hold target weight at increasing draw lengths. I'm concerned my eyes must be missing something; there's no way I'm getting off this easy. I thought I saw a hair of positive tiller on the upper limb at low brace, but measuring it shows dead nuts the same.
When I unstrung it after this, it's taken a ½" of set. We'll see if it's still there tomorrow.
Here's video, if you want to see it move during draw:
https://youtu.be/gYb42kpmGZw

Does anyone think it's ready for full brace?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:14:58 am by Taxus brevifolia »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:34:00 am »
Hard to say for sure without unbraced picture. Assuming a flat profile I would say your right limb looks a bit stiff. It's seem to me it could be bending more in the area that has the fold in cardboard behind it. Keep perfecting your tiller as you slowly gain on your draw length. What draw length are you looking for? Make sure you exercise the limbs each time after removing wood.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 04:38:03 am »
Yes.
The tips are coming back well beyond the brace point.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:38:24 am »
My 2 cents: right limb looks just fine...go on uniformal removing except of the 4'' from the fade - got enough bend already right after the fade. weaken the left limb from the fade until midlimb. Then post pics again.Good job! Cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 05:43:56 am »
Ok thanks guys. I'll get an unbraced pic up with next tiller check. simk I'll take your advice

Need a better background, that cardboard displeases me.

What is my target draw length? Well Bjrogg I'm conflicted. How long can I get away with? I could pull 33" just fine, but I don't know if it's wise to go beyond 28". I n fact I'm tempted to stop at 24" for now and revisit the thing after shooting it that way for a few months.

Del I really want to flip those tips. I haven't forgotten you recommended avoiding that, but with you guys to coach I think it'll be worth the effort. Right now the string lines up dead nuts over handle center. Whaddya say?

Offline simk

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 05:57:54 am »
okok - ...and don't touch too much that right outer limb (...so bj's first advice might was even better).
Don't flip those tips - as alreday said it's a short stave and flipping will cost you even more bending zone. Surplus: What will you do, if the sting alignement comes bad with flipping? What will you do if it splinter's while bending? Too many issues...
Go the safe way and be rewarded.
Cheers
[flip the next one]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:06:54 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 06:18:28 am »
It is hard to tell because the picture is crooked but it looks to me like the right limb is stiffer.

At 591/4" in length, a 26" draw length sounds like a maximum. Is that a nock to nock distance?

I don't increase brace height until the tiller is as good as I can get it.
Jawge
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:59:35 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 06:40:28 am »
Del is way more experienced with yew than I am. I agree with George. 26" is probably pushing it with a stiff handle. It appears your bending out of the fade enough for now. I'd stay away from them for a bit. I watched your video and to my eye it seems to reaffirm my first thought. I like your left limb. Right just seems a bit stiff from just before that crease in cardboard to outer limb. That's where I think I'd work next.
Good Luck, take your time and perfect the bend.
Bjrogg
PS I might agree with you stopping at 24" with a good tiller and shooting it in there for awhile.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:10:56 am »
Ok thanks guys! I really appreciate it

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 11:23:14 am »
2" extra brace height is less than 1/2" extra tip deflection.
It won't look much different, but it may just show up any discrepancies a bit better.
I'm not saying get it fully braced and simply heave it back to full draw.
I'm saying brace it and watch how it flexes. Pull it towards full weight see how the tiller looks... starting the final tillering adjustments from full brace
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 03:39:45 pm »
Ah this is so good. I'll have time tonight to work on it.

You guys had it harder, when you were novice there wasn't any internet! I don't know how you managed but I'm glad you did and grateful for your help!

Jawge yes the 59 ¼ is ntn

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 04:32:34 pm »
For a length doubling your draw and adding 10" gets you pretty close.So your stave is around 58"?
Without a backing, 24-26" seems ok. Hard to say. All the yew I've made  got backed with rawhide.
BTW that right limb looks like it needs to be scraped mid limb to nocks.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 04:31:31 pm »
Thanks Jawge!!