Author Topic: Tillering tree pics  (Read 3323 times)

Offline IrishJay

Tillering tree pics
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:29:25 pm »
I'll be making my first tillering tree in the next couple days and I was hoping some of you could post some pics of your tillering trees. I'll be going simple, no ropes or pulleys, just a board with some notches, and I'm pretty sure I know how I'm going to do it, just looking for some reference.

Thanks,
Jay
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Tillering tree pics
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:23:49 pm »
Sorry, Jay, I burned mine about 25 years ago. I use the rope and pulley. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:44:17 pm »
I'm with George. Rope and pulley is safer, less detrimental to the bow and you can see tiller from a distance.
A 2x4, a pulley and 10' of braided 3/8" nylon rope is all you need for it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 10:34:56 pm »
I have to agree with the masters, but if you don't have room for the pulley set up, get a hardwood 2x4' or 2x6, and drill 1/2" peg holes every 1" down to at least 30".  Use a hard wood peg1/2" and sanded to fit somewhat snug, but loose.  Draw your string with both hands, or a draw loop centered on your projected Nock point, more or less.  I used a 2x6 piece of redwood, drilled every 2" and marked every inch, worked more or less!  Finally got the tiller done at MOJAM on a tree that was setup for pulley!  Use what is best for your circumstances.  Btw, I'm a newbie and still finding my way!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:51:08 am »
The BIG advantage of rope and pulley is that you can stand back and watch how the bow flexes dynamically... which sections are actually flexing. It tells you a lot more than a static view.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 05:27:58 am »
I dont have much room in my shop so every thing needs to be portable and compact , you can make a real simple off set 2 x 4 on a 2x4 post pulley system and clamp it in a vice , it works great takes about 30 min to make & you can put every thing away when done !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 06:58:02 am »
tillering trees are for rookies..lol...no seriously ,after you build a few bows and the set is too much because of the strain you put on your bow because of the tillering tree... you also will throw it away... gut

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:07:48 am »
I agree with the others.  I had a tiller tree with pegs that I used on my 1st two bows.  It's now retired in my attic.  I should burn it though. 

To think about all the unnecessary stress you put on a bow by holding it at full draw for minutes at a time while you are analyzing your next move makes me a little sick to my stomach now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:54:47 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 08:44:42 am »
Ok, ok, you talked me into it, I'll do a rope and pulley setup.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 01:37:52 pm »
LOL, Jay. My set up is portable. It clamps in a woodworker's vice. The top clamps to a joist so there is no flopping around. The area around and under  the vice is reenforced with plywood.
Here's a photo from my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/directions.html

There's more on my site too.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 03:31:57 pm »
Ok, ok, you talked me into it, I'll do a rope and pulley setup.

You wont regret that decision.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 03:46:20 pm »
Glad everyone talked you into rope pully and you might as well put a scales in there. Like Weylin said you won't regret it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 05:12:13 pm »
Its Tiller Time! Like most things I need to build for my projects I built this out of scrap wood and odd hardware I had stowed away in coffee cans with old mismatched screws. That said I didnt have any pulleys, but I did have an old steel eyelet, so I made it work.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »
Pic

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 07:14:18 pm »
You will not regret it. Now measure down from the back of the bow handle, and mark the 2x4 in inches so you can know how far you are pulling each time, and never pull past your desired finished draw weight.