Author Topic: Tillering tree pics  (Read 3322 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Tillering tree pics
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 07:30:30 pm »
Yeah, I'm not sure how well you can see it in the pic, but I put a piece of electrical tape on the face of my scale to mark my desired draw weight, and I have not been pulling the needle past the edge of the tape. The top limb (left in the pic) is bending pretty nicely, the bottom limb (right in pic) is considerably stiffer, but I knew it was going to be because it's a bit thicker. So, all of my work this evening was on getting the stiff limb bending like the other. It's not there yet but I definitely made progress. Once I get the bottom limb bending like the top I think I'll be able to brace the bow.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:11 pm »
You guys sold me as well, gonna have to retire the pain in the a$$ tree, then take one of the great ideas here and make a pully system.

I like the idea of hanging a system from the ceiling.  :)
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 06:42:32 am »
Put some peg holes in your tree so you can hold the string for gizmo checks.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 07:05:54 am »
I do like Mr. Krewson showed...but really, what is the difference between that and a tiller tree? never could figure that one out other than the pulley system allows you work the bow easier than just pulling it down with your hands on a tiller tree.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 07:19:42 am »
There isn't a difference but notice the holes only go to 20" (I'm assuming the holes don't keep going out to full draw).  20" is my cutoff for holding the draw more than a few seconds.  If your bend is pretty even, you should be fairly safe to hold draw < 20".  That's why it's a good idea to get your tiller correct early in the tiller process.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 08:13:28 am »
Well, I got it braced, but it broke a few pulls later at knot in the top limb. See my earlier post about my stave being questionable. So it was good practice and i learned a few things for the next one.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 08:29:13 am »
Sorry for your loss but that's the right attitude.
Better luck next time.
Bjrogg
PS do you know what weight it was at when it broke?
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 08:34:12 am »
It was about 3/4 draw and 35lbs. I was going for about 43lbs @ 29.5" so that I'd end up just over 45lbs after toasting the belly.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 08:39:17 am »
Yeah it looks like you have learned a lot. 
Get you a decent stave or board, and you'll be well on your way.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 01:01:10 pm »
I only leave a bow string hooked on the peg for about 10 seconds, just enough time to get a tillering gizmo check.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 04:27:24 pm »
Jay, start another soon. I bet you are glad you were not under that stave on the tree when it broke. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 04:33:03 pm »
Very true George. Although, as my first time seeing a bow fail, it was not as explosive of a failure as I would have expected. It made a loud pop, jumped about 6" up and then fell the the floor. It didnt even bounce off the garage door or anything  ;)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 05:22:07 pm »
Pulley system