Author Topic: New guy..... new to knapping  (Read 2872 times)

Offline CMH

New guy..... new to knapping
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:44:41 pm »
Hello, just joined and what a website!!!! Have always had a interest in primitive archery but little experience which I hope to rectify. Havent knapped yet but have put together what I hope will be a usable knapping tool kit. All of the antler is moose from far western Alaska  I did some trading for...... and that rock has a story. Found it during one of my many canoe trips as a teen..... it looked useful even then and Im almost 49 now  :) Look firward to getting to know you all abd learning from you. Craig

Offline CMH

Re: New guy..... new to knapping
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:58:15 pm »

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:38:16 am »
Welcome to PA Craig. I'm jealous of that tool kit. If you like that magazine you'll like this one to. Enjoy the site. There are a lot of really fantastic people on here.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline CMH

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:08 am »
Thank you

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 08:35:09 am »
welcome to the addiction! lots of "wisdom" here as well as wit.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:58 am »
Welcome aboard, Craig!  These folks have a wealth of knowledge about primitive skills, and a few modern ones, too!  Also, a keen sense of humor!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline CMH

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 11:07:53 am »
Thank you ........ for my first question. Is there a good place to buy flint?

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 11:17:03 am »
I'm sure guys have their places and I'd love to hear em all. For me going to Primitive Archery meets and getting supplies for all my needs has worked well. Usually pretty fair prices and no shipping. Also get to look, touch and feel.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 07:22:25 pm »
Curtis Smith is a good dealer. He sells good rock at reasonable prices. He is on some of these forums. Send him a PM.

WA

Offline 1442

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 01:22:45 pm »
nice tools.
I get most material at the local Niblets Bluff bi annual knap in.
I wouldn't hesitate to order from Curtis if I needed some rock. Just let him know that you are just starting out and he will fix you up with good learning material.
I would recommend a box of dacite flakes as a good rock to start out with.

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 01:21:20 pm »
Welcome to probably the best primitive/traditional site around. Your best friends will be at knap in so Google for knap in in your area. Me, I'm a bit goofy and travel up to 600 miles to attend. Nothing beats sitting next to someone watching them knap. I have yet to have someone turn me away and everyone is glad to help you out. Your next best friend is youtube. 100's of how to videos on making your own tools to how to knap.

You can buy tons of rock at knap ins but you can always Google knapping rock and sellers will come up. Every seller I have bought from has been very fare. Curtis is a good one as is Craig Ratzat and Dennis Kerns.

Make sure you keep your very first arrowhead. A year  into this you will see why.