Author Topic: Furniture crates  (Read 2327 times)

Offline DC

Furniture crates
« on: December 08, 2018, 09:52:25 am »
I'm taking delivery of a new Ashley living room suite today. Since they come from eastern U.S. I'm wondering if the the wood from the packing crates might be useful. Anyone have any idea what wood they might use for packing crates? Most likely junk wood but in 1980 I ordered my metal lathe which came from China. The packing crate was made of Lignam Vitae. :D :D I'm just using the last of it now.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Furniture crates
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 01:43:04 pm »
At the power plant I worked out they had a scrap wood pile where they discarded pallets and packing wood to burn later. I hunted the place looking for special wood but only found a few notable pieces. I found every species but my best finds were pieces of very curly maple, walnut and a 6' 4x4 of very clear ash.

I once had a wife that worked in a huge sawmill where they culled substandard wood they called "dunnage" and sent it to the pallet factories.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:45:17 pm »
Probably pine but it might be thinner oak. Both pretty common here but the pine is lighter. Lots of pallets are made from oak or hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 02:21:06 pm »
Nevermind, they were being fast and loose with the term crating. It was wrapped in form and cardboard. Not much use. :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 03:22:23 pm »
You might be able to do a lam bow with it.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 05:32:42 am »
Maybe you can make a play house for the grandkids.lol mine always love boxes.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 08:42:32 am »
I wasn't even boxes, it was just big sheets of cardboard and foamy plastic wrapped and taped. It didn't do a good job either, the front of the chair was all smashed and had to go back.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:16 am »
They just don't make them like they used to! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 05:32:58 pm »
Even the ones they used to make won't survive a fork lift.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 06:28:55 am »
I used to be a mechanic for a motorcycle shop, Japanese.  The bikes came on a hardwood pallet that seemed to be mostly made of Mahogany.  The shop also had a wood stove for heat and I would break up the pallets and burn the wood.  Sometimes it was easy to break the wood up into stove length pieces and sometimes my weight was insufficient to break even a small piece.  The wood was full of nails and holes so not good for bows but it did make me think
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com