Author Topic: Helping a Newbie  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Ash

Helping a Newbie
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:48:04 pm »
Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice as a beginning bowyer. The plan is to split some staves out of a black walnut log that is just shy of 6’ long, and tapers from 10” to 8” in diameter (if pictures are useful then I could try and post some). The intended bow design is a 60” pyramid bow with 2.5” long fades and a 5” long handle. It would have a 1.25” wide handle, 2” wide fades, and 0.625” wide nocks. Is this a good design for a walnut bow? Any suggestions are welcome.  :)
-Ash

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Helping a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:59:21 pm »
I'd think 66" to 68" would be better for black walnut. Pyramid would be fine or semi-pyramid with parallel limbs out about 6" before tapering to the tips. Keep the tips wide until first brace so you can see how the string tracks. If the string is off one side or the other  you can remove wood from the side of the tips to get the string more centered. Same with the handle, leave it unshaped and as with the tips you can remove wood to get the string to line up. After first brace you can reduce the tips to 3/8" or slightly less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ash

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:51:48 pm »
Thanks for the advice Pat. I think I'll go for a 66" semi-pyramid bow then.
-Ash

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 04:35:24 am »
I'll second what Pat said. That's a good plan. Looking forward to seeing this bow. Gotta love a good walnut bow.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI