Author Topic: First time with sinew. Questions *UPDATE  (Read 3508 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: First time with sinew. Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:28 pm »
this is an interesting project,, cause you are in a grey area,, where results are difficult to predict,,,,that being said, I sinewed alot of bows just to see what it would do and learn about the process,, that is enough in itself I thihk,,
I am out on a limb spitballing, but I think you will gain at leat 20# draw weight, and that will add about 20 fps at the increase draw,,I dont think the bow gonna shoot much harder at 10ggp than it  is now, but it could,,depending on retained reflex,,
I dont think much tiller will be needed,, let the bow stabalize before scraping wood as the sinew will take a while to stretch,, I would leave it braced hours at a time for a few days,, before taking off any wood,,
dont worry aboug making it shorter, if you get it shooting nice, and want to shorten it later you can,, with the sinew on there you could go easy to 60 inches,,
good luck on your project,, keep detailed notes on your procedure so you know what you want to do the same and differently on your next one,,,, (f)

cool_98_555

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 03:24:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I've got my sinew, just need to get my glue.  Would 4oz of glue be enough for one bow at 2 layers?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 04:03:23 pm »
yes

gutpile

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 07:59:40 am »
dont buy the bottle hide glue..use the powder double boiler... hide glue and sinew are like peas and carrots..go very well together..hide glues slow dry time allows sinew to shrink properly for the best application for dry time... the only way to let sinew do its job properly IMO... you can always cover with snake skin or after dries size with tite bond... to waterproof... size bow before applying sinew and wring out sinew good before applying..if you use too much glue when to brace bow you will have a heart attack ... why?... cause all the cracking and popping of the excess glue will sound like bow is going to explode.lol...gut

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 09:09:04 am »
If you just need a little protection, then you only need a single thin layer of sinew and terminate it before the tips. No reason to bulk it up with a bunch of added weight unless you want added weight.
Eric

cool_98_555

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 12:09:21 pm »
UPDATE:  Well I applied 2 layers of sinew with the powdered hide glue.  I didn't soak the bundles in the glue before applying, but instead used a brush to just brush a layer of glue on both sides of the bundle.  I don't think this was overkill with the glue.  I came up with this awesome method to heat up the glue that didn't even require a glue pot.  Anyway, I was trying to figure out how to put reflex in it while applying the sinew, since I was having a difficult time reverse-bracing the bow.  I just elevated the tips on two chairs, then tied the handle to a 20# box of cat litter...this worked like a charm!  Started out with 2.5" of reflex before the sinew, and already overnight it has improved to 3"!  It's not rock-hard yet but i'm wondering how long I need to have it in the induced-reflex state before I just take it off and let it sit on its own for a month.  I'm not going to mess with the tiller for a month but I want to be sure I take it off of my "reflex form" at the right time.  Any ideas? 3 days maybe before I just let it sit on its own?

Funny story too...I was setting my glue station up in the house when my wife walked by and asked "what are you doing?"  I just told her I was applying sinew to a bow, and that it's tendons from a deer that are shredded up.  Thought she was going to send me out to the garage but she said "Can I help?"  I had her prepare some wet sinew bundles for me...cut my time in half in applying it!  She's a keeper I think ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:12:44 pm by cool_98_555 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First time with sinew. Questions *UPDATE
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 04:11:22 pm »
Nothing like an extra set of hands while adding sinew to a bow. I've always thought it would be helpful.  ;D   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 03:59:06 pm »
That's awesome. I love my wife, but she'd never offer to help w/ sinew. I think she's a keeper for sure!  (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 04:13:27 pm »
I think leave it for a week,, (f)