Author Topic: Stone cutting tool?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline sleek

Stone cutting tool?
« on: December 09, 2018, 01:02:56 pm »
What kind of tool does one require to cut rock? I have been spalling, but if i could cut my own slabs that would be great! How big of a piece can be cut, and how small a piece can be safely cut?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Tower

Re: Stone cutting tool?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:54:07 pm »
A rock saw. You can get them from 4”-20” pretty easy.... but they can be pretty spendy .  Even used
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 05:41:30 am »
And if you get a hold of some slabs you can use a tile saw to cut them into pre forms. As Tower said, rock saw are pricey, even used.

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 06:32:01 am »
I have a crappy tile saw from Home depot.  It works depending on your expectations.....started making jewelry for the wife with all the scrap I generate...

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 10:38:21 am »
I have a Harbor freight tools brick saw that I have used for over 12 yrs. Replace the blade with a dry cut turbo diamond blade and mist with water while you cut keeps the dust down and keeps heat down that can crack fragile rock. This advise is for soft materials, and or "some" heat treated stone.

Cuts obsidian close to the same rate as a table saw with a hardwood, and you get thick slabs for knife blades.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:41:28 am by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.