Author Topic: Tiller check please!  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Tiller check please!
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:16:41 pm »
Yew flat bow, 59.25" ntn
Top limb is on the left
Target is 43 lbs at 24"

I think I've corrected from last check, this is 32 lbs at 18"

I wonder if I can or should move the ends of the working portions of the limbs out toward the tips another inch or two

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tiller check please!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:30:01 am »
Hard to see, I think there's some optical illusions going on due to the lighting/colour/camera angle/aliens etc.
It make it look like a thin patch about 13 in from left tip and a bit fat 2/3 in from left tip, which make left inner look a tad stiff.
I don't trust my eye on this pic.... :(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 04:26:14 am »
Ok I'll get better pics

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 04:41:22 am »
Are the tips supposed to be stiff mini levers?
Del

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:07:17 am »
40# is about two pounds per inch. You've got 6" or 12# left. You are awfully close to target weight now I think. Not much room for changing your mind.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:11:10 pm »
Yes I'm real close to my 43 lbs at 24" target, I calculate if I could draw to 24" now without removing any more material, I'd be at 47lbs. (Each 2" of pull raises the weight by 5 lbs)

Here are more pics: upper on the left, lower on the right. Please excuse my messy book case.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 03:14:44 pm »
Del good question...I realize the tips are generally supposed to be non-bending, what I don't know is if I've left them too long

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 03:19:37 pm »
Del good question...I realize the tips are generally supposed to be non-bending, what I don't know is if I've left them too long
Ah...  (just my take on it, and I'm happy to be wrong here).
I think tips are "non bending" only in so far as the leverage is so little the bend is virtually zero. And as you progress along the limb, the leverage increases automatically gradually allowing a bend. They don't need to be left thick to make them non bending.
In other words... the fact that there is little leverage is an opportunity to taper them and make them extra slim which gracefully blends into the bend, rather than a reason to bulk them up and end up with a tip design which is neither one thing nor t'other.
If you actively want a non bending lever it needs to presumable have a significant length and be a designed in feature.
I think an inch of swell on the back to allow for a nock groove is fine tho'  :)
Del.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:24:17 pm by Del the cat »

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:27:45 pm »
I once glued a splinter on the back of a bow on the last 8-9inches to see how much it bent. I was surprised. A limb I thought was stiff was bending close to an inch in that 8".

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 06:20:48 pm »
This makes me wonder the long siyahs on a turkish bow, interesting

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 07:55:19 pm »
This makes me wonder the long siyahs on a turkish bow, interesting
IMHO, the levers on a Turkish bow or molle are design specific. I feel like for the style of bow you have made here those tips need to be thin and sleek, pretty sure the way they ar will produce sluggish performance. This opinion is based on the first bow I made. It was a dog because I left the tip “levers” too thick and long for the design of the bow. I think you are right on the verge of having a nice bow from this attempt!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 01:11:52 am »
I once glued a splinter on the back of a bow on the last 8-9inches to see how much it bent. I was surprised. A limb I thought was stiff was bending close to an inch in that 8".
I love that sort of experimentation :)
It cuts right through the stuff that gets endlessly repeated without critical thinking.
Del