Author Topic: White oak stave  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Sticks

White oak stave
« on: December 10, 2018, 12:53:58 pm »
Hello to all of you I had an account here several years ago but makin a living got in the way of bow makin.I have a white oak stave 62 inches NTN I was wondering if you would use a pyramid design or flatbow.Id like to get at least 50 lbs at 26 inches thanks for any help,Dave

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: White oak stave
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:21:36 pm »
If the stave is wide enough it should work fine for a 26” draw. If possible make it 2 inch wide at the fade and draw a pyramid from there. For safety make the handle not too long so you have as much bending area as possible. White oak will take some set so a good heat treat will help with that

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:28:38 pm »
not to confuse the issue,, I think the pyramid would work, there are lots of nice Native American bow designes that will work too for white wood,, check it out next time,,

Offline Sticks

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:38:04 pm »
Thanks for the input Bradsmith I appreciate the reply.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:59:26 am »
i’ve done a few white oak and i treat it like hickory. It should take less set than hickory if you follow hickory dimensions.

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:28:30 am »
All good advice above.I have chased the ring on White Oak into the heart wood,and heavy heat treated the belly on them with very little set also. You don,t need to. I just did it to see how it  would turn out.No backing, and stained dark Walnut the grain pops,and sort of looks antique.One is D shaped,and the other has a slight working handle.