Author Topic: Osage near Dundee Ohio  (Read 991 times)

Offline RAU

Osage near Dundee Ohio
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:27:55 am »

I’m driving from northeast pa to Dundee Ohio on December 21 to pick up a puppy for my daughters Christmas present. Breeder is in Ohio farm land and I think osage is pretty common there. Anyone know where I could cut some without getting arrested or shot at? I asked the breeder and they cant think of any offhand but how many people besides bow makers do know of any?  Anyway I know this is a long shot but figured I’d ask anyway. I’d love to come home with some. Thanks in any advance for any guidance!!

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Osage near Dundee Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 04:45:24 pm »
There's osage in Pennsylvania I guarantee it. Here near Rochester, NY this is what I did and I suggest you do the same...

-I drove around the country outside of the city on the weekends until I found areas where there were hedgerows (osage was widely used across NY and PA to contain cattle prior to barbed and electric fences so I'm sure it's out there).

-I asked folks working at the local grocery stores who owns most of the farmland in that particular area (ask enough people and you will eventually get a name or names).

-I called the landowners and explained that I make traditional bows and would gladly make one for them or a family member in exchange for permission to cut dead wood off their hedgerows.

-I got a few "no"s, but eventually spoke with a gentleman who was willing to meet me to talk about it.

-He now is a good friend and allows me to cut as much as I please.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline RAU

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 07:23:19 pm »
Thanks for the reply. There’s definitely osage in pa but none I’m aware of within 2 miles of home and it’s on a railroad right of way. I should start looking harder close to home. I’m just hoping to multi task on this trip and come home with some osage

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 05:21:43 am »
Wishing you the best of luck. And I'm sure the puppy will make this a year to remember for your daughter!  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ohma2

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 09:36:19 am »
Some of the older guys will remember the quote,i think it was jack crafty said" sorry officer i was just colecting materials".not a good thing to tresspass but the railroad would never miss it.