Author Topic: Earthquake  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Earthquake
« on: December 12, 2018, 02:05:40 pm »
I woke up at 3:30 this morning with our bed shaking. Our dogs started barking so I let them out and looked around to see if a tree fell on the house. We just got 14" of wet, fluffy snow a few days ago(Sunday morning) and by 3am the power was out. We just got power yesterday afternoon at about 4:30. I had to cut a 12" pine off of the driveway yesterday.
 Well, it turns out that there was an 4.0 earthquake in eastern Tennessee. Boy, what a weird sensation. No damage from the quake, thank goodness.  There's never a dull moment here in the Southern Appalachian Mountains.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 03:21:35 pm »
That's quite the news Pat.That might have shaken some snow to the ground off the tress....lol.Never been through one of those yet.I imagine with the wide range of members others have been through earthquakes before too.How many miles away was the epicenter of earthquake?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:24:24 pm »
Glad to hear you're all ok.

I still remember my first earthquake.  I was stationed in 29 Palms, we drove down to Joshua Tree and stayed up drinking, so spent the night at a buddy's girlfriend's home.   About 3 a.m. it felt like a train was coming through the house.  I jolted awake and asked what the heck that was.  Someone else half asleep said it was an earthquake,  don't worry about it.  Went back to sleep.  Well, around 8 a.m. I had finally processed it  and woke again with a start "earthquake?!"

Personally, after over a decade in Cali, I rather enjoy the smaller ones.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 08:23:20 pm »
Ed, less than 100 miles as the crow flies. It was east of Knoxville, TN.
I think I have probably felt a few small quakes. There is a fault that runs through Brevard, NC where I live but last night it felt like the dog was scratching leaning against the bed only stronger. Sort of rhythmic. It woke me up and I can sleep through anything.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 10:45:24 pm »
There were 2 quakes 3.4 & 3.6 near Glenwood Springs yesterday, but no damage and far enough away we didn't really feel them.  Haven't had any on the Front Range for some time!  Don't want any, either
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 06:11:29 am »
Glad all is well Pat, I heard about it but didn't feel anything here. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 07:22:15 am »
There was a small one in Ohio a few years ago, I didn’t even realize it at the time I just thought that my younger siblings were bouncing around the house too much  (lol)

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 09:44:21 am »
The strangest earthquake I was in, when I lived in California,  came on audible at first.  It was like a hundred low flying cargo jets.   Then just about the time my mind processed what was happening a slow wave like pulsation started in the gound,  like a car with nad shock and struts, and built up in intensity as it came on.  At the point I figured this one was going to be real bad if it built up any more, it was gone.  I think we lost a few dishes but nothing too bad. 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 12:15:23 pm »
I remember a very small one when I was in the fourth grade. We could feel everything shaking and the windows were rattling. In the fourth grade we thought it was cool. Now I probably wouldn't think so.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
We're studying plate tectonics in science currently and I referred to this quake just today. Glad to hear everything's okay. Amazing to think about the forces at work under our feet.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 09:23:43 pm »
Glad things worked out Pat. At least you have a memory. :-K
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.