Author Topic: Edisto Island SC Clovis  (Read 2037 times)

Offline RickB

Edisto Island SC Clovis
« on: December 13, 2018, 05:27:23 am »
Here are some photos I took last week from our camping trip to Edisto Island SC. I met and talked to a lucky lady who was visiting from Boone, NC. Photos are of a Clovis point she found that had washed out on the beach. Can't tell you what a thrill it was to hold a recently found 10 to 12 thousand year old fluted point in my hand and examine it. I believe it was made from coastal plain chert from the Savannah River area but it needs to be checked out by an archaeologist to determine that. It has heavy patina and coloration from being in the coastal mud/soil for a long period of time. First thing I did was tap it on one of my teeth to see if it was rock or a lithic casting. Rick B

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:02:32 am by RickB »

Offline sleek

Re: Edisto Island SC Clovis
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 06:04:35 am »
Absolutely fascinating! Amazing when you realize the sea level has risen over ancient civilizations thousands of years ago, and now pieces of ancient peoples artifacts wash up.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 06:48:14 am »
Encounters such as yours are rare Rick. Right place right time. Wonderful memories.
Thanks for sharing, Awesome find. I hope you keep in touch with the lucky lady. Some of that luck may rub off. )P( )P(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:40:18 am »
wow! cool! very nice!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:33:00 am »
A very interesting find!  Glad you were able to take pictures!  Also a very lucky lady!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 11:32:37 am »
Now, that is cool! I've dove on a site in the gulf near Weekiwatchee, Fl a few years ago that was in the black mud in the coastal marsh. All of the points we found had the same colored patina.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 02:18:18 am »
Very nice find. Just holding that one has to have some good mojo Rick.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline RickB

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 07:05:09 am »
Here's a Savannah River stemmed point that I found in 2012 close to the site the Clovis was found at. It is made of translucent coastal plain chert from the Savannah River area. This area, as today, was a very popular site used by humans. Second photo is a piece of deer antler I found that has a hole drilled in it. Rick B

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:38:51 pm by RickB »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 10:36:51 am »
Nice Rick. My Mom found a stone with a hole like that on the shore of Lake Huron. It was many years ago and I've looked for it but nobody seems to know what happened to it. We always thought it was probably a weight for fish net or something similar. Now I wonder if it maybe was a worn out bearing for a fire bow.
Sure wish I could find that stone again
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise