Author Topic: skunk highlighted possibles bag  (Read 7579 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
skunk highlighted possibles bag
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:53:44 pm »
If primitive skills means home tanning and hand sewing I guess this is it.This is the skunk that refused to take a good hint from us to move on.
Tanned him in a plastic bucket with about 2 to 3 gallons of water/1/2 pound of aluminum sulfate and 1 pound of pickling salt.Moisturized a bit with neats foot oil also after tanning is done.Contact cement glued skunk hide to deer brain tan.Then sewed it up.
I've done many a deer hide years ago with this combo too.Then 1 pound of aluminum sulfate and 2 pounds of pickling salt in at least 10 gallons of water is needed.I did them in a plastic 30 gallon trash can then.It usually takes about a week then.To check penetration of chemical just slice a sliver of hide from the edge of the neck.It'll show ya.
I'll make a carrying strap for it and decide what beadwork if any to do on it.It's size is 7.5" by 9.5".

As with most things to be useful function before form.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:54:09 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: skunk highlighted possibles bag
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 04:36:47 pm »
That's a one of a kind possibles bag, Looks great, not many people ever mess with skunks, I skinned 4 one year :o and had them tanned by Moyles. Skunk are real pretty hides, to bad they are not used much, Beautiful bag Ed Like to see it with the strap. Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 05:37:05 pm »
Yeah, real nice bag ED. Can you still smell any essence of skunk on the skin?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 06:46:49 pm »
Nice, Mr Ed!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 07:34:37 pm »
It was a small skunk so it was rather thin leather.I had to add other leather to get the sized bag it is too.Large fully matured skunks hats[lined with flannel] and large bags can be made with no additional leather and leather is thicker also.The prime fur is a lot like bear.
I washed it multiple times in dish washing soap before tanning bath and after rinsing it.Even sprayed it a bit with hydrogen peroxide.It stayed in tanning bath for 3 days to tan.After rinsing I hit it with a hair dryer to dry hair then neats foot oil is applied flesh side with a small paint brush.I hit that too with hair dryer to help with oil absorbtion.Then let it set and oil is absorbed good.It took about 3 to 4 hours to dry at room temperature.While drying I work it and stretch it etc.It does'nt smell at all to me.Just the smoked brain tan does though.I use hickory bark smoking my hides.I'll probably 4 way lace braid a strap for it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:42:32 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:48:02 pm »
Got to admit that hickory smoke smell a lot better than skunk! >:D. That is a nice bag!
Kawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 05:44:06 am »
Very nice work Ed.  Skunk hides are an eye catcher. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 06:09:01 am »
Thanks fellas.It's best to wait till the animals are furred up good from the winter before tanning them for best looking pelt.
Two that got away.....Ha Ha.These were adults.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 07:39:27 am »
Nice job Ed. I haven't gotten the nerve up to do a skunk yet. Someday though when find the right one. Did you remove the essence first? Did you just avoid hitting glands? Kinda like skinning a mink?
Your a valuable source of knowledge and inspiration. I always enjoy and look back to you tan alongs for information.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 03:15:28 pm »
BJ.....I just skin around those nasty little things.Sharp sharp knife is a must.
A person does'nt need to have these sometimes hard to get pelts without buying them and are rather expensive like lynx,cougar,or otter to make good useful things.Although it's nice to work with those kind of pelts.I've never gotten an attraction to be tanning possum though.Although I've seen a coat made of those once and it was beautiful.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:39:46 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 08:08:27 pm »
I remember my mom having a opossum coat when I was a wee lad. Always thought it was really neat.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 05:47:24 am »
Possum is a rather thin type hide.I've found fleshing them on a beam in a partially frozen state or stiff helps to keep the hair intact good.It's easy to ruin one with hair loss otherwise.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Mounter

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 10:56:32 am »
Pretty unique bag, nice job.

I remember my dad telling me back in the late 30’s early 40’s that skunk and opossum brought a buck or 2 apiece. Civit cats brought 2 or 3.. pretty good money for a farm boy back then.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 12:01:55 pm »
really beautiful !
I guess you are going for some beadwork. I enjoyed that a lot at your last one.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, hope I can use this once.
b2tw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 02:28:15 pm »
Nice Ed, should be handy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good