Author Topic: Ottoman hornbow  (Read 5645 times)

Offline Scyth

Ottoman hornbow
« on: February 19, 2019, 11:27:07 am »
I thought this would be of interest to some folks . . .

regards,

Scyth
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline NorthHeart

Re: Ottoman hornbow
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:16 am »
Very sexy bow. Always love the elaborate decoration. Interesting that the bowyer and artist were 2 different people. From the mid 1800's? A little more recent than i might have expected.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:06:46 am »
I find the picture very useful, thanks for posting it.  Re. the artist/builder difference, I like it they were 14 years apart - someone loved the bow so much they just had to get it all dressed up, or, maybe it sat on a shelf in the shop for a decade and a half, there's a story in there somewhere  ;D.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:01:42 pm »
You guys seem to get a lot more out of a picture than I do ??? How did you do that?

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 02:37:23 pm »
DC: the bow was first introduced in fb. There was some discussion about the decoration and the artist. Wasn't the guy a bit famous?

In the past the decorator actually was often better paid and more appreciated than the bowyer. If you look more into the gilding and really, really complex decorations, its quite apparent. :D That's why there was a bowyer and decorator separately. The birch bark or leather cover might have been done by the bowyer.

It's interesting stuff. Don't know if myself would have ever the patience to do that kind of gilding job... Maybe after 30 years of bow making when i'm retired and all. Hah.

Oh yes, here is the nice bow that Peter also sold in the past: http://mandarinmansion.com/very-fine-antique-ottoman-bow
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:43:33 pm by JNystrom »

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 03:59:07 am »
You guys really know what you are doing.Great work.