Author Topic: Primitave hunting camp  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Little John

Primitave hunting camp
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:06:38 pm »
I just ran across these pics of one of my old hunting camps, I had a plastic drop cloth and used an old abandoned tarp to fashion this lean to, about 9-10' long and 5 ' tall. The front flap can be straight down, an awning, or flopped back out of the way. I loved being able to have a fire and coffee pot at arms reach. Warm dry and very comfortable camp. It was on a small hump and perfectly dry with all rain water draining away.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Little John

Re: Primitave hunting camp
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:08:46 pm »
another picture
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 04:16:37 pm »
Are those on Salt Creek?    I also liked your old stone structure in the Canyon but I also liked our camps on Salt Creek.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 04:59:08 pm »
Cool camp.I like it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 12:56:07 am »
Way Cool ! The Whelan/Baker style lean-to has been around for many years  (=)  :OK. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 07:24:56 am »
Thanks Pat, Ed, Bob. Pat yes it was in Salt Creek. I did not know it was called a whelan/baker lean to but our scout troop had a couple of old baker tents back in the scouting days. I would bet that it would be hard to find one today. I liked them for the same reasons, mostly because you could have your fire right in the open side for warmth and being able to cook from the comforts of the tent.    Ken

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:36:50 am »
Yep that's a whelan/baker style lean to.I used to camp in one at rendezvous years ago too.Mine was canvas.They sell them.Think it had 2' sidewalls.Same set up with lodge pine poles and an front awning also.I really liked mine for it's quick set up and camping convenience.Great hunters' camp shelter!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 08:10:10 am »
Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:28:55 am »
I threw up a tarp lean to, a few times, even in the military.  Panther Primitives has the Whelan and a Bakerin their current catalog, several sizes, and canvas weights.  Btw, they are having a sale through 31 Dec, 10% off.  I have a new one pole on order!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 10:29:54 am »
That is a neat camp!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 07:40:25 pm »
I do a lot of solo back pack hunting, and am always into inexpensive light weight shelters, there are a lot of things that you can do with a cheap light weight tarp from a lean to, to a tube tent supported by a light rope. A light weight plastic painters drop cloth and some light cord makes a serviceable survival tent/lean to and I normally have the makings in my day pack. Any kind of back country camping is an adventure, got to love it.            Kenneth

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 12:36:30 am »
I have a Baker lean-to & a Hunters Tent (one poler) fromPanther. Highly recommend their Lodges  :OK. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 08:47:21 am »
I am glad that the baker tents are still being manufactured and available and people using them.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 10:57:59 am »
Thank you for the cool pics. Nice camp setup.