Author Topic: Wanted Pine pitch  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Abo

Wanted Pine pitch
« on: December 20, 2018, 06:41:33 pm »
    I would like to trade for a fair amount of pine pitch for making glue. The trees in my area don't produce much pitch or at least I haven't been able to find much even with scaring trees. I have for trade heated Texas chert flakes, knapped arrow points ,raw bamboosa or dogwood arrow shaft material. We would decide on the quantities according to the amount of pitch offered. I would prefer soft pitch over brittle. You can pm me or reply to this post. Merry Christmas to all.
John 3:16

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Wanted Pine pitch
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 09:45:55 pm »
I have some softer pitch, but haven't weighed it out.  How much do you want?  It will go a long way!  I will be sort out out of commission for a few days,(a bit of surgery), but will weigh out some of my softer batch to see how much I have and will part with.  Probably be able to get an idea by Sunday or Monday.  If you want a whole bunch, I would have to go into the pine/spruce zone, but there may be some down lower, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Abo

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 03:21:23 am »
Thanks for your reply Hawkdancer. I don't need a need a real large amount probably what you have on hand will be enough. Like you said it will go a long way for what I use it for. You can let me know how much you have and we can go from there. Whenever you get a chance to weigh it will be fine I'm in no hurry. Let me know what you want to trade for. Hope the surgery goes well.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 01:19:28 pm »
If Jerry can't supply your needs, lemme know. I have a little of the dry stuff in a baggie at home. I am looking for excuses to get into the woods and this wouldn't be a bad reason for a day with the dog out tramping.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Abo

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:22:18 pm »
Thanks JW. I'll get back to ya. Your right any excuse to take the the dogs out and spend time in the woods works for me.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:34:41 am »
I made a batch of pitch a few years ago, I could spare a stick or 2.
It’s just pitch, charcoal, some beeswax, and a bit of saw dust

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:49:43 am »
Wizard,
What ratios do you use?  Got all the components, now what do I do? -C- >:D (lol)!

Abo, the pitch is raw, unfiltered, gathered last spring in the Black Hills on a non Turkey day, of which there were several >:D!  JW knows!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 02:02:01 pm »
To be honest I don’t fully remember. I came across an old thread on here and went with a ratio that sounded good. I remember modifying it a bit, because it seemed too brittle. I like it so it’s hard at room temp, but you can push a finger nail in it a bit.
Leave it warm in the pot, take a bit out and let it set up. You can modify until your happy.

Offline Abo

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 02:46:13 pm »
Hawkdancer raw is good for me I can make it up.Did you get a chance to come up with an amount? I just mix charcoal and bees wax till it gets like Wizardgoat said till you can push a thumbnail in it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 03:54:37 pm »
I got 6.5 oz, but it is not real soft.  We had a hot dry summer and it is about too hard to stick your fingernail into, but it is raw and may have some bark chips still in it.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Abo

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 02:30:19 pm »
Sent Pm to Hawkdancer and Wizardgoat.

Offline Abo

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 07:10:28 am »
Trade complete.