Author Topic: Hemp strings and heavy bows  (Read 13754 times)

Offline avcase

Re: Hemp strings and heavy bows
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 11:51:41 pm »
Wills,
It is great to follow your progress on this. I have only made strings from existing linen or silk string. These do perform well, but they are certainly thicker than yours for such a heavy bow. I am curious, what is the weight for this string you made?  I believe a fully served string made from my best linen would end up around 240 grains for a bow like this.

Alan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 05:11:35 am »
If this helps, I just got an antique Yumi bow with a Hemp string. I was amazed at how thin this string is. After doing some research I found out that they are rubbed with pine resin instead of beeswax.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:54:44 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 10:24:11 am »
Will,
If you know someone who makes hemp fabric, they may be able show show you a way to get smaller fibers of a consistent diameter.  Running the fibers through a spinning wheel or spindle should get you a smaller, stronger strand, but my knowledge and skill in that area is very limited.  Almost has to be a hobby weaver in your area doing the spinning from scratch.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 11:48:32 am »
Yeah it was the Yumi strings (Tsuru) that sparked this all off many years ago.  A few guys started deconstructing them and using them to make strings for heavy bows.  They work simply because they're full length, it's remarkable just how strong this stuff is.

Hawkdancer, the first year or so of my research was doing just that - I spent forever learning how to spin, hackle, comb and process the fibres into textile-quality thread only to find out it's useless like that! 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 12:57:23 pm »
Will, I was also amazed when I read that when the string breaks it is good for the bow, it breathes new life into the Yumi. It would scare the crap out of me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 03:55:37 pm »
Well, that idea seemed reasonable while it lasted >:D (lol)!  Saves a lot of work not trying to re-invent the wheel! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 02:38:26 am »
interesting expreriments and great result with your strings

have you considered agave fibers? they are long (not 3 m tough) and very very strong