Author Topic: Braised Squirrels ala Pesto  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Braised Squirrels ala Pesto
« on: September 03, 2020, 08:11:57 am »
Hey guys, came up with a new recipe now that squirrel season is open here.  Got some pretty good compliments on this one so I thought I'd share.

Braised Squirrels ala Pesto

For my pesto I used walnuts.  Pine nuts would be exceptional for this but they're just so darned expensive.   Can't give precise measurements as I don't really measure.

In a food processor:

-lots of fresh basil
-a little rough chopped onion
-clove of garlic
-handfull of walnuts
-small sprig of freah rosemary
-small sprig of thyme
-couple small sprigs of oregano
      •just the leaves and discard stems of the herbs
-pinch of cayenne
-salt and pepper to taste
-add olive oil as you process the above until it comes together as a paste in the food processor.  Usually end up with a cup of finished pesto.

Prepare squirrels as you like.  I just split the pelvis and rib cage, lay them spread out flat in a greased baking dish.

Liberally spread the pesto over the squirrels.  Add a little chicken stock, or water...if you want to be edgy, some white wine to the bottom of the cooking vessel to prevent scorching and keep in a little moisture.   We're not making soup here, so about a quarter inch of liquid.

Cover with foil and cook on 350° for about 45 mins to an hour, or until done.

Would probably be pretty good with rabbit, too.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline chamookman

Re: Braised Squirrels ala Pesto
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 01:01:54 am »
Wow, that sounds really good ! Gonna have to give it a try  -C- ! Thanks for sharing - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 12:34:35 pm »
Sounds like my style of measuring!  To the woods!  Here, squirrel, Here, squirrel!  Still too early for bunnies in my opinion!  Got wads for my black powder shotgun, still to get some #6 shot and find some huntable woods around here.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 03:06:30 am »
My .36 is waiting for the season to open - September 15  :-M ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 10:12:08 am »
I'm going to have to try this. Something we like to do is add a dollop of natural yogurt into the pesto. Makes it nice and creamy, adds a good tang and also healthy.
Trevor