Author Topic: Asi (the Black Drink)  (Read 1318 times)

Offline EdwardS

Asi (the Black Drink)
« on: December 23, 2018, 06:13:50 pm »
So I've been experimenting with Asi since I found Yaupon growing in my yard here in Brewton.  If you have ever wondered, this is what I found.

It's kinda labor intensive, but even being disabled I found it manageable.  If you have Yaupon in your yard then that's half the battle. 

Strip the leaves from the stems.  Don't have to be too picky, if some stems get in there they can easily be pulled after drying.  I dried mine for two hours at 150F, but three isn't overlong.  I then roasted them in an iron skillet at medium heat until barely smoking, stirring constantly.  The instructions I have mention the possibility of flash combustion if not stirred.  Didn't happen to me.

Grind in a mortar and pestle, then steep in boiling water like you would tea.  Tastes like green tea, if you have tried green tea.  This is the recipe technically for Cassini, the tea made by white settlers from Yaupon.  I technically know how to make actual Asi, but we don't really want to vomit and that's telling a secret I don't have a right to tell.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow, and I have enough prepared that I can share, if anyone is interested.  My son absolutely loves it.  Just wanted to share what my people know with you.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Asi (the Black Drink)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:04:00 pm »
Yaupon is a holly(Ilex) and this "Black Tea" is heavily caffeinated. I think the copious amounts drank was partially the cause for the vomiting. The botanical name for Yaupon holly is Ilex vomitoria. I believe the cassini is a colloquialism for Ilex cassine, dahoon holly, another coastal holly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 03:55:28 am »
Shoot, even a cup of green tea on an empty stomach in the morning will make me puke!
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:49:26 am »
Different tea, Steve. Green tea is from the new growth of Camellia sinensis, the same plant as regular Lipton tea(different growth stage). Black drink is made from the roasted leaves of a coastal holly plant Ilex vomitoria. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 11:30:36 am »
Yeah, gotcha Pat.  There are many of those trees growing in our neighborhood, haven’t been tempted to try that yet.  Have you?
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 02:15:42 pm »
Thought about it when I lived on the coast but never did. I doubt a cup full would do much more than a cup of Lipton, a gallon would be another thing.  (A)