Author Topic: My first self-nock  (Read 6277 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
My first self-nock
« on: December 24, 2018, 04:17:52 pm »
Merry Christmas, folks.

Here's my first attempt at a self-nock.  I carved it out perpendicular to the grain with 4 mini-hacksaw blades taped together; finished with a 1/8" file and 140 grit sand paper.  Wrapped with silk thread coated in Duco.

I am having a devil of a time getting the cuts dead center on the shaft.  I've been practicing on some old, broken POC shafts.  This is the first one I've tried that might actually shoot.  I plan on giving it a try tomorrow once the glue is all cured up.  I hope I've done it right.  I'm guessing an exploding arrow coming out of a 60# longbow isn't going to feel good.

Once I master this, I'm going to try fletching with some raw turkey feathers.  Then I'll try making my own shafts from chokecherry shoots.  That's a ways off yet, but the direction I'm going.  Hopefully by then, I'll be able to actually hit something with this new bow of mine.

Does it look about right?

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

Re: My first self-nock
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 05:57:21 pm »
It's a little off centre and I would make it a little deeper. I'm not sure how important having the groove on center is. I've read that it is important for accuracy but you couldn't tell by me. I start by scratching a line  with a triangle file and just keep fiddling until the line is dead centre. Then I cut a groove with a single hacksaw blade. Then I widen it with two hacksaw blades glued together. I make mine about 3/8"(.7mm) deep. If they are too shallow it makes dry firing a bigger possibility. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 07:56:17 pm »
Looks like you are about 1 blade off center.  I am not sure about the placement of the fletch in relation to the cock feather being perpendicular to the string, though.  Something doesn't look right, may just be the camera angle.  Not bad for the first time!  You'll get better, and maybe some will get worser!  Happens a lot until you get your rhythm and have made a lot of arrows.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:59:41 pm »
The cock feather is OK, but yes, the cut is slightly off center.  I'm not sure how close is close enough.  Honestly, as long as it doesn't explode on me, I'll probably call it good enough for a first effort.

I like the idea of scratching a groove with a triangle file first.  I'll definitely try that with my next one.  I might file this one a bit deeper, too.  Thanks for the input!

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 09:19:56 pm »
For your 1st . . . you did good.
Yeah, I'd go bit deeper with nock. Maybe measure some plastic nocks and copy their depth.
To locate nock, I been using the triangle file. Then 2 hacksaw blades. Then thin thin file (I always forget what those lil files are called!) to get nock centered and fit to string.
I, myself, would not be able to use 4 hacksaw blades and get as centered as you have!
Good luck on the next ones.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 01:24:08 am »
I use a curved, tapered round file. They use this files to copy keys. And in German they are called so: Schlüsselfeile- keyfile 8)
I found this was the most useful tool,too.

Offline 1442

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 01:52:17 am »
I had a couple cane arrows with nocks off center like that and they didn't do very well shooting them bare shaft.
After cutting them off and centering the nock they both flew almost perfectly straight.
so I think a off center nock has a definite effect on the spine value depending on which way its turned, but I reckon you could tune it to shoot from one side or the other.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 06:35:22 am »
Mike and Dons' way is the way I've done it.Your nock depth should be at least 1/4" better at 5/16".A person can make them to snap on just as well as any plastic nock.
I did make a centering jig like this at one time but after you make enough it is'nt neccassary to use any more.A square cut chunk of wood with the hole drilled with a drill press centered good then a slot cut around 1/16" wide dead center with the band saw.[The nicety of power tools.....Ha Ha].Widen it out to fit string with hobby files with base of nock filed with a small round file the exact circumference of your string serving for that snapping on effect.The jig should be made out of harder wood than the shaft.

Many drill a hole at base of nock first with drill bit then cut slot which works well too.I hav'nt looked lately but I'm sure there's self build-a-longs' showing the procedure.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:59:34 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 08:04:32 am »
Looks good. Shootit and see how it flys. Only two things can hapen. One good and one bad. I have a nifty nocker which allows me to center the cut. Keep at it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 10:47:27 am »
I think those nifty little files are called "needle" files here in the states, mostly.  You can get them in steel or. Diamond grade.  Key file works, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 11:41:39 am »
Or jewellers files :)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 06:08:59 pm »
Well, I went out and shot this guy about  a half dozen times today.  Happy to announce that it didn't explode, and it seems to fly just fine!

Here's my second effort.  Cut a shallow notch with the corner of a flat file to guide the saw; then sawed in 3/8" with a mini hacksaw.  Followed that up with the four blades, and finished it with a 1/8" round file.  Still need to sand, paint, wrap, and fletch.  This one is centered, and it went in a LOT faster.  Thanks for the input, everybody.

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 06:12:35 pm »
By the way, nobody around here has needle or jeweller's files.  I might try to order one online once the Christmas craziness is over.

Also:  I wasn't expecting any big presents this year, since I just got this new bow.  But low and behold, Mrs. Badger and the Badgerling got me a strap-on bowfishing rig!  Archery season just got drastically extended!  I'll probably use it with my old glass recurve, since it's pretty much impervious to water, and of course that takes it well out of the "primitive" realm.  But it's pretty exciting, anyway.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 11:17:33 pm »
I've been thinking that a twisted piece of emery cloth might work well for rounding nocks off. I haven't tried it yet but maybe a 1/4" wide strip twisted up tight and drawn back and forth through the nock might work well.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 05:36:41 pm »
Cool idea, DC.  I hit on the solution of stacking three match sticks up, gluing them together, and wrapping a scrap of sand paper around for sanding out the nocks.  Works pretty well!

Thanks for the input and kind comments, everybody.  I got a half dozen made, fletched, and ready to shoot.  Hope to get out and shoot them tomorrow. 

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour