Author Topic: origami bird  (Read 2476 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

origami bird
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:47:05 pm »
I finished this little guy up a little while ago. I thought he turned out pretty good so I thought I'd share.

The model was designed by Satoshi Kamiya, my favorite origamist. I folded it from a 40cm x 40cm square of biotope origami paper, no cuts or glue  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: origami bird
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:17:29 pm »
 Very cool bird. Origami is so interesting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:51:19 pm »
Nice Jeff. Afraid the closest I've come to origami is paper airplanes. Interesting though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 05:19:32 pm »
That's cool. My son does origami. He designs them from scratch. Boggles my mind. He made one that's a bunch of grapes. One sheet, purple on one side and green on the other and he ended up with green leaves and purple grapes. I admire anyone that can do it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:29:28 pm »
Cool!  Art is everywhere!  And where you find it!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 05:23:06 pm »
Thank you guys. I think the thing about origami that I find so captivating is the people who actually do the designing. Like your son Don. They take something that's 2 dimensional and create a 3 dimensional figure.

To be clear, all I can do is follow the directions. That takes some time and patience, but the people who actually dream these models up are the real magicians. Folding their diagrams is like hitching a ride on genius. It's a lot of fun.

I'd love to see some of your son's work Don.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 11:11:57 pm »
I think I better stay with wood working and carving!  I'm better with knives, anyway! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 11:00:27 am »
Thank you guys. I think the thing about origami that I find so captivating is the people who actually do the designing. Like your son Don. They take something that's 2 dimensional and create a 3 dimensional figure.

To be clear, all I can do is follow the directions. That takes some time and patience, but the people who actually dream these models up are the real magicians. Folding their diagrams is like hitching a ride on genius. It's a lot of fun.

I'd love to see some of your son's work Don.  :)

Do a search on "Mike Case Origami" or "Yagowe Origami". "Yagowe Grapes" will get you to the grapes instructions I think. 

I sent you a link by PM
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:08:43 am by DC »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 06:42:39 pm »
Don, I have to say, your son is brilliant. I read the description of how he folds the grapes and it's genius. I can see influences of many well-known origamists in his work, but he's got a style all his own. You must be proud.  :)

P.S. my kids just saw the grapes and they were wide-eyed and jaws dropped. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:46:31 pm by upstatenybowyer »

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 10:25:40 am »
Yes I am :D