Author Topic: Glove for cold-weather shooting?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Glove for cold-weather shooting?
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:30:26 pm »
Hi, all.  What do you all use for a shooting glove in cold weather?  I've been looking for something like an insulated leather work glove, but with reinforced, slick leather tips.   I can't seem to find such a thing anywhere.  Any ideas?  Might have to make something myself...   (S)

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Glove for cold-weather shooting?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 05:45:50 pm »
I use a tab that fits over my hunting gloves. It's still a bit clumsy just because of wearing gloves, but release is pretty good. I have practiced but never had a shot hunting with them yet. Usually just being stiff from the cold makes it difficult enough.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 11:26:56 pm »
I haven't tried it yet, but I think you are on the right track.  I shoot with a 3 finger glove and would probably just slip my leather work glove on over that, if temps were not severe.  I am not going to be out in real crappy cold weather anyway!  Temp drops below freezing, look for me in camp, close to the fire, or in the tin tipi!  With a mug of hot beverage!  Will report further after our winter 3D shoot 19 Jan, weather permitting (S) (SH) >:D (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 12:32:58 am »
I think you can find what you want at 3 rivers
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:19:14 am »
I use the same thin gloves I do all season. When it cools down I slap an Asbell hand warmer muff around my waste. Its wool with a faux shearling liner.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 05:26:07 pm »
All reasonable sounding solutions.  In September in the Wind River Range where I hunt, it's pretty normal for it to be below freezing in the morning, up into the 60s or 70s in the afternoon, and back near freezing before I get back to camp.  If I don't hunt in the cold, I don't hunt!

The best solution I've found so far is my regular three-finger shooting glove under a wool "fingerless mitten."  (You know, the mittens with the flap that folds back, exposing the fingers)  That works pretty well except that when it warms up, it is really hard to get the shooting glove out of the wool mitten...So, I'm thinking about trying to sew some home-made fingers into the mitten.   I just got some good, thick cowhide (for mocsasins) that I think might work, if I can figure a way to sew it in without unraveling the knit.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 06:18:41 pm »
I do the same as Pearlie.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 07:30:29 pm »
I do the same as Pearl and Pat B.  Dark brown deer hide leather gloves with hand warmers in a waist muff.

But what about 2 shooting gloves?  One in the mitten and the other in your pack for warmer conditions?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 08:30:26 pm »
Hey, that's an idea...see, that's why I come to this forum, for the solution that's so simple I was too dense to see it.  ha ha ha

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:49:11 pm »
I cut the three middle fingers off of the right hand glove and wear my shooting glove under the knit glove. I also have rag wool mitten/gloves but rarely have to use them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC