Author Topic: First Knapping attempt  (Read 7564 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
First Knapping attempt
« on: April 06, 2008, 02:07:03 am »
After going to the Glass Butte Knapp-in, collecting some rock, and watching the masters, I decided to give it a try today.  They look like arrowheads, but I need to figure out how to get them thinner.  I hope to hook up with some local people for some pointers, and if any of you are willing, I am open to constructive criticism. 
Thanks,
Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline redwasp

Re: First Knapping attempt
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 02:34:35 am »
those look really nice. keep up the good work.  ;)
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:05:10 am »
Those look real nice.  I'm right there with you Knocker.  I've just started and getting my points thinner is my objective too. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:49:43 am »
Better than I can do thats fer sure :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 02:33:08 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get the bases thin enough to fit in an arrow shaft.  Ore maybe I can drill a hole in the base like a field point!!!   ::)  I am sore today.  I can see my hands need to toughen up, and I need a thicker peice of leather for my leg.

Keith

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »
 Hey Keith You are getting the form. I started getting thinner when I would percussion flake a preform twice as big as the point I wanted to make.Then I would thin the preform even more with very controlled percussion on the lap supporting the back edge with a fingertip (Gloved) this set me up with ridges to build good platforms to run deep pressure flakes across the piece without losing almost any width,thinning it even more.At this point my piece is usually 6 or 7 times wider than it is thick.More times than not,one end will be thinner than the other,that is the end I will use to be the base of the point.This is just going with what the piece of rock is doing on it's own and that is always a good thing.If I am going to do some basal thinning(Thin the base to facilitate hafting) I do it now.Kinda fluting it with a couple or three long pressure flakes on each side running right up the centerline ridge.You have to set up a nice platform for each flake.I learned the hard way that you must create a nice platform for each and every flake if you want it to run right.Watching the youtube video's is a huge advantage that I did'nt have when I was learning.Paleoman jim's stuff is really well presented.pressure flaking pads with the flake path cutout was another huge advantage. Good luck ! Bust lots and lots of rock and remember to grind your edges (But not too much ! Ha ! )
 Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 04:00:07 pm »
Nice points brother, you have it down pretty good... wish my first points looked that good.Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 09:03:22 pm »
those look well done. make a kill with them. :)
Modern Day Tramp

Bishop

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 04:32:01 pm »
Nice work!..we are getting a lot of rock breakers here...wooohooo.
Bishop

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 02:58:13 pm »
Seeing all your guy's work is giving me inspiration.  After Glass Butte, I have plenty of raw materials, and I also found a couple of local knappers that are willing to give me some pointers.  I doubt if I'll be creating any works of art for awhile, but I hope to make some functional arrowheads for next falls hunting season.  The next step is to get the platforms right and the percussion angles, so that I can get some longer flakes.  Those heads I posted are so thick I'd have to use splints to hold them on the shaft...   :(

We finally had a break in the weather here in the Northwest, and it was the same day as a family gathering at my home.  The nieces and their boyfriends were nuts about shooting my bows and some junk ebay arrows, so I think I have created some new enthusiasts!

Keith