Author Topic: Li'l more knappin  (Read 30441 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Li'l more knappin
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 09:14:19 pm »
I was a little surprised Yankee - it napped good raw, I did cook some of the thinner spalls but haven't had time ta work em yet - sure they'll be nice and shiny. So ya need one for hog huntin huh? I'm sure we could work out another rock trade ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 11:34:08 pm »
  Hey Paul, I just saw this too. Motels suck, guess you know that ;) Great looking points ,man. I might get up there Wendseday too. I'm trieing to round up some "candy" to bring with me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Staver

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 01:40:34 am »
Cowboy, those are some great looking points! 8)  Your skills are incredible!  Are you sure you're "Cowboy" and not "Indian"? ;D  Joe H

Offline cowboy

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 10:02:25 am »
Naw Joe, I never was a cowboy in the true sense of the word. I did do the hat, boots, big buckle, horse ridin thing for awhile when I was younger. I came up with the handle while I was making what I called cowboy art - making little stick figure's out of shoeing nails on a horseshoe and selling em. I do have some indian lineage though, think this is more my calling :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Staver

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 12:40:11 pm »
Me too Cowboy ;D Joe H

eddy8888

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 07:49:17 pm »
If you use a 2 0r 4 pound hammer depending on the size of the copper. Make the copper round into a 4 sides, then file the head. the it is work hardened and wont bend easy.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 10:27:10 pm »
hey cowboy, whats the best method for removing arrowhead sized flakes off of a core of that alibates? i got some today. about 10 lbs. worth. ranges from a brown with maroon and orange swirl to a yellowish grey and some dark blue.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline cowboy

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 12:07:03 pm »
carpenter: That can be a little hard to explain without showing. It's pretty much the same method from knocking spalls off the core all the way to pressure flaking a finished point. You hear ALWAYS hit below center, but I don't always - sometime you have to knock the whole end off of a cobble to create a flat edge to get started on. Once that's accomplished then you do want to set your platform up below center to knock off good thin long spalls.
 For the big spalling work - I'll use a large hammer stone, large copper bopper 1 1/2", or the copper hammer I made. Good stiff platform below center, right weight bopper, rare back and hit it like you mean it - acuracy counts ;D.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2008, 07:15:21 pm »
thanks cowboy ive got a bigger bopper in the works. i have the cap but im havin trouble finding a big enough dowell so im gonna have to make one.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2008, 10:21:45 pm »
thanks cowboy ive got a bigger bopper in the works. i have the cap but im havin trouble finding a big enough dowell so im gonna have to make one.

Use the Wifes Broom Handle!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 12:46:05 am »
i dont have a broom handle quite that big either. the cap has an inside diameter right at 1 3/4 in. besides i dont think chinese aluminum broom handles could quite handle the stress:-> i used a peice of maple from a tree in my yard. filled the cap half full of no. 8 shot. took 4 1/2 oz. epoxied the cap to a 6 in peice of maple. then ran a couple screws into it to be sure. the epoxy had a 1 hour cure time. i took some flakes off with it it works superbly. i took a good flake off one cobble that had a hole in it that looked like a worm had eaten into it. some kinda gas pocket. the resulting flake had a lil hole right thru the middle of it. should make a nifty arrowhead.

--Carpenter

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 01:40:26 am »
Come on Carpenter, it's time to show and tell.   ;D.  We need pictures.  Where'd you get the rock?  It sounds cool. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2008, 08:31:09 pm »
mike, pics pending. cowboy, how did you make your copper hammer?

--Carpenter

Offline cowboy

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2008, 10:13:04 pm »
Carpenter: Kinda hard to describe, maybe I can find a picture. I took a peice of copper rod about 1 1/4" in diameter X about 2 1/2" long. I cut a groove around the center of it the size of a 1/8" welding rod. I then brazed a 1/8" welding rod into the metal sheet iron that wraps around the copper rod, which is brazed to the tubing handle.
  All that just so the copper can be turned or can spin around inside it's housing - you can use both ends of it all the way around. Reason for that is the copper rolls over around the edge and you want to be able to use it 360 degrees to keep the roll consistant all around - in other words, as the copper wears a little you can keep turning it around and use all sides of it :-\, make sense?
  See that hammer in the background? - that's the one I just described. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2008, 10:57:28 pm »
yeah i get it. where do you get copper rod?

--Carpenter