Author Topic: Li'l more knappin  (Read 30453 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Li'l more knappin
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:21:53 pm »
Had time to sit down and hit some rocks today. Here's a point from your Alibates yankee. I got into that one and so far so good :). Here's a atlatl point from your obsidian DTilller - was just bopping on rocks and came up with these today :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

Re: Li'l more knappin
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 11:06:37 pm »
sweet!!!!!!!!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:37:38 pm »
Way to go Paul! They are beuties. Just hope I can get as good as you some day.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 11:41:52 pm »
Good lookin' points.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 01:08:59 am »
Very Cool.  Those are some real beaut's

Ok, Paul I have a question.  I had the chance to beat on a few rocks today too.  I seem to alway get the main part of the point fairly thin, but the base always starts taking on a profile of a football, and an over inflated football at that.  :'( What am I doing wrong? 

Mike 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:43:01 am »
You are an amazing knapper brother. I hope to be that good someday.... thanks for the inspiration ;D Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:41:43 am »
You do some pretty impressive work Paul.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Bishop

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 12:35:57 pm »
Good stuff Cowboy, wish i could Bop em that nice.
Bishop

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 01:06:40 pm »
Awesome points Paul :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 01:17:15 pm »
Thanks guys :).
  Otoe, I know exactly how you feel. I had the same problem a few years ago - the more you work on it the fatter it gets ;D. With percussion and pressure flaking both you have to hold the peice at the proper angle and then strike through the stone with follow through like golf, boxing, swinging a basball bat - follow through. With the Ishi stick I get the copper on the platform (right on the edge) while holding the edge up so I can see it clearly, then push in to build up pressure as I start to squeeze with my legs i kinda roll the point over flat and "pop" the flakes go at least to center, after awhile you can start running them from edge to edge almost. Clear as mud huh? I'll show you what I'm talking about at Pappy's, be a lot easier :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 02:07:31 pm »
Cowboy:  Took me years to learn what you just described about pressure flaking.  Am going to Canada this fall for moose and bear and would really love to have a couple of your points to use on them.  I have lots of hard drawn copper rod for the Ishi stick, elk and white tail horns.  I have some young cow buffalo skulls.  They are pretty fragile and cost lots to ship.  Anyway, you make beautiful points out of ugly rocks.  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »
Thanks Paul.  Looking forward to the school'n ;D.  I think I also figured out part of my problem.  I wasn't using an Ishi stick but just a short handled pressure flaker, and I wasn't putting it between my legs for extra leverage.  I was holding it up where I could see it and I don't think I'm getting enough force to pop off the long flakes.  I quit using my home-made Ishi because the wire was too soft and kept bending. I think I'll make me one with an antler tip and see how that works.  None the less I got a couple of crude preforms ready to bring with me to the Classic.  Maybe, just maybe I'll also get some of your rock you sent me cooked and bring that too.  Our Church has an old roaster oven that goes up to 600 degrees.  I'm going to see if they'll take a trade for a brand new one.  Everyone wins.   ;)

Keep up the good work.  I use them as inspiration.   
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 05:28:29 pm »
 Mighty fine points. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 06:33:26 pm »
Use a hammer to pound the copper to shape. It will work harden.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 07:05:28 pm »
Thanks D.  I hammered the point, but I need to take it out of the handle and do the whole thing.  It keeps bending right at the point where the wood meets the copper.  :( I also found an old utility pole with the ground wire still attached.  I'm going to try that one as well. 

Mike