Author Topic: Osage slab haul - pic heavy  (Read 5356 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Osage slab haul - pic heavy
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:41:12 pm »
I recently cut some red osage logs that had interlocking grain.  There was no way I was going to try to split them.  They would be just as hard to split as elm.  I cut a few more trees and took them to a sawmill to get them cut into 2.25" and 1.25" slabs.  I want to start making some tables and benches out of osage.  I might try to find some bow wood in the thicker boards with straight grain.  I picked them up today and was happy with what I had to pay.  The boards got a little wet in the rain.  I think I got another inch shorter after unloading that trailer by myself.  My back wasn't very happy with me afterwards. 

You can see the waves in the grain.  I could see this in the bark before I cut the tree. 

The wind checks make some beautiful designs.  These will make an awesome coffee table.

I stickered them and stacked them in my garage for now.  I plan on moving them to another storage building eventually. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Osage slab haul - pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:53:50 pm »
Those are going to make some beautiful tables.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 07:28:20 pm »
I'd love to have a table and some benches made from those boards.  )P( Nice haul!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:32:59 pm »
 Very nice Clint. Can't wait to see what you make out of them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:50:35 pm »
Should make some real purty furnishings!  But I'm not sure I want to try to move the bigger ones by myself!  Nice haul!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:51:45 pm »
Wow man. Lemme ask you, that interlocking grain stuff, if it were bamboo backed, would a bow still be possible from it?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 01:04:06 am »
WOW - nice stuff  (A) ! If You need a spot to store some of that, I'll send You My address  :OK - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 02:51:21 am »
Those thin stickers should slow drying process. Which is likely a good thing.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 03:38:17 am »
You are the OSAGE OUTLAW...….
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 06:01:18 am »
The osage guru Mike McGuire started making rustic tables and furniture with his dad, the did so well with it they pretty much got out of the stave business. The used a variety of different slabbed woods for their tables.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 06:58:08 am »
Beautiful osage slabs, Clint.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 08:00:38 am »
Sweeeet project Clint.The osage outlaw strikes again!!!!I like it.Good projects there!!!
The Amish do that here too at their saw mills.Their counter tops in their houses are 1 of a kind beautiful.They'll keep huge logs of red cedar around just for the purpose of making boards to order too.The prices of their boards are far far below those home building chain stores and a good 2" thick.Those would be a little easier on your back....Ha Ha.
A bow hunting friend to the north of me did that with a large osage tree rescueing it from a farmer wanting to dispose of it out in his pasture.I got to make a good dozen or so D/R BBO's from his stash.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 09:15:50 am »
Hope you were well stocked with Motrin as those thick moisture laden boards would have been true "pain" to carry.
But you're gonna one day have some beautiful one-of-a-kind furniture from them.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 10:34:20 am »
Hard on the back and don't imagine it did your clutch any favours either ;D That's gorgeous wood. Wonder what it will look like when it darkens up.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 01:43:09 pm »
Nice lookin slabs!!

Should make great furniture  :OK
Offgrid mtn living