Author Topic: Safe backstop for primitive broadheads?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Colona

Safe backstop for primitive broadheads?
« on: December 30, 2018, 06:38:16 pm »
My father-in-law made me some superb primitive self-nock arrows with hand forged steel trade points using sinew, hide glue, etc. My goal is to hunt with them using the black locust Cherokee D bow I made, so I need to figure out how to conduct at least a limited amount of practice with them for proficiency. I am afraid my usual hay bale or styrofoam backstop will destroy them with the sudden deceleration. Any suggestions what to use, or how to go about it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Safe backstop for primitive broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:54:53 pm »
I have a rubberized foam block target butt I use for all my arrows. The hardest thing on tied on points is pulling out of the target. If you pull it out slowly the way it went in it comes easily. Remember it's spinning when it hits the target so the extraction should be reverse spiral.
 I never hunt with an arrow I haven't shot at least once first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 07:28:36 pm »
I used a sand pile with a paper target on it.  Didn't damage broadheads but I lost cresting to it so ymmv.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 11:04:03 am »
The broad head pit at our range is sand, with plastic milk/water bottles for targets. Haven't shot any trad type points there yet(don't have any), but he glue ons did well.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 04:04:43 pm »
If you take a cardboard box, suitable size, maybe 3' x 3' x 11" to 16" deep. Duck tape the back good and stuff it, and I mean stuff it with plastic bags, like from WalMart etc. Close it up and duck tape it shut. Works just great and the arrow maybe goes 5 to 7" deep and you can pull it out with two fingers. Not my idea but it works.
REB

Offline Colona

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 04:18:52 pm »
I like it! Many thanks, all!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 04:19:54 pm »
I've used feed sacks stuffed with plastic grocery bags or plastic sheeting for field points but trying to get a broadhead out is difficult unless you push it through.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulc

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 03:10:59 pm »
Roadside couch cushions, two thick work okay for me.  I have to pull the arrow completely through as I've never been able to get them to pull out backwards without hanging up on cushion.  FWIW Paul

Offline Mailman Bill

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 04:15:06 am »
The cardboard box stuffed with plastic bags work.  If the arrow will not come back out easily the way it went in go ahead and push it on through.  Its easier to replace the feathers if they are damaged when pushed on through.  A dab of glue on the front edge of the feather will help to keep the feather from catching on the push through.
Never to old to learn old stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 11:55:14 am »
If you crunch up the feathers just hold them over a steaming tea pot. The steam will straighten out the feathers.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 01:29:34 pm »
I've always wondered why that works so well. It sure wouldn't have done the bird any good standing in hot steam. ;)

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 03:44:52 am »
Pat, that steam "trick" works every darn time. Bill, the dab of CA on the front of the feathers works great all the time.  ;D
REB

Offline ohma2

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32:58 am »
As PatB stated never torque or twist an arrow pulling it out especially a broedhead.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 08:37:54 am »
Dick, it's fun watching the smashed up feathers automatically go back to it's natural shape as the steam hits.

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 08:49:08 pm »
Walmart sells a small drew foam target for I think 20 dollars it is what i use for my flint  points. The target doesn't last long but its is good for the occasional stone point . It will not pull the sinew wrapping off.