Author Topic: Any tips for shooting with a heavy winter coat on?  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Any tips for shooting with a heavy winter coat on?
« on: December 30, 2018, 09:39:30 pm »
Just read some of the ideas for shooting gloves in cold weather and it reminded me to ask a question I meant to post a week or so ago.

Went to the range a couple of weeks ago,  and the high was in the low 30's,  so I wore a winter coat.  The string kept slapping the jacket sleeve and my cast suffered greatly.   Any suggestions for what to do about it?

I had one of my daughter's hair rubberbands in the truck so I used that to tighten up the sleeve a little bit, it helped but was no fix.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline chamookman

Re: Any tips for shooting with a heavy winter coat on?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:53:23 am »
A good Wool Vest. I wore a Filson for years - with a wool shirt under. Worked til it got 0 below, then I'd swap the vest for a King of the Mountain shirt. Never had a problem with the sleeve with that  (S)  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 05:18:40 am »
For sorta of different reason, I cut the sleeves of my ASAT camo shirt.  Kept bunching up in the arms, back, and sleeves were too short.  Much better.

I second the vest option.  I also started using an armguard, simply for protection should one og my shoot shafts blow.

Online ksnow

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 05:25:47 am »
Yep, vests are great when it gets cold. I wear a heavy wool sweater under a vest, with a jacket over that. I wear an armguard all of the time, mostly to hold my jacket sleeve in place. Make sure the guard straps aren't too tight, or it will make your hand cold.

Now if I could just find a way to locate arrows that decide to go under the snow instead of in the target.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 06:16:41 am »
Practice, practice, practice...and be sure your bow arm sleeve is out of the way.   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 07:21:22 am »
Low 30s isn't even jacket weather yet, eh' :)

All joking aside, try the vest idea. If you keep your core warm your arms need very little protection.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 10:45:13 am »
Wear a warm hat, as well!  Helps keep the blood flow to your hands and feet!  Plan B -stay inside where it is warm!  >:D (lol).  A couple layers of wool or polypropylene under a vest should be enough to be comfortable on the range without too much. Bulk.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 01:48:57 pm »
Like Kyle said, arm guard works for me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 02:08:35 pm »
Low 30s isn't even jacket weather yet, eh' :)

All joking aside, try the vest idea. If you keep your core warm your arms need very little protection.

As of now we have 14 inches of snow on the ground from last week's storm and another 7 to 14 inches on the way in the next 48 hours.  Our highs might have broke the low 20's.   It's a great time to go out and shoot something  ;D

I think I'll try the arm guard idea,  I'm a desert rat at heart and not sure a vest/sweater combo will cut it for me.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 08:04:50 am »
The solution I came up with was this.A tight fitting elastic camoflauged gortex like material tube.I usually don't even wear arm gaurds any more.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 11:13:10 am »
Ed, you customize that for yourself?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 06:05:17 am »
No I'm embarrassed to say I bought it that way.They are sold as a general 1 size fits all.Was'nt that expensive really.It looked like a useful thing to try.....Ha Ha.It's happened too many times that the string has hit my coat sleeve under shooting the deer.This works!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 04:57:06 am »
I have seen them before Ed, may have to give that a try, looks like it should work great and save having to adjust my arm guard ever time I add a layer of cloth or take a layer away. :) Never know in Tennessee, cold one day and warm the next. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 10:54:41 am »
When I shoot with a coat on, I just use a piece of elasticated tube gauze bandage pulled up my bow arm over the coat sleeve. Its very cheap, simple and easy to pop into a pocket when it isnt required.

Cheers, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline txdm

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 12:31:46 pm »
Recently my bow string slapped the drawstring for my hood and flipped it right up into my eyeball with alarming force.

My eye was fine, but it had me rattled to say the least. I'm tucking drawstrings away when shooting now.