Author Topic: The case for/against adding reflex to a selfbow  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

The case for/against adding reflex to a selfbow
« on: December 31, 2018, 04:13:52 pm »
Pac. yew selfbow
59.25" ntn
43 lbs at 25"

It took this little bit of set the first time I braced it. I've put a few hundred arrows through it.

Snakeskins for the back and leather for the handle ordered, should be here in a week; meanwhile, leaving it deflexed like that feels like an unfinished job.

Those if you who recommended against heating in some reflex, or at least flipping the tips. I'd appreciate details on why not. Seems like a good way to make it a little faster.

Offline Badger

Re: The case for/against adding reflex to a selfbow
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 04:26:16 pm »
   I would give it a shot, carefully note exactly where it took set before heating, you might need to drop the weight a little after heating and it will give you an opportunity to remove some wood from areas that didn't take set. Do not pull it out to full draw just to see how much weight it gained or you will be right back to square one.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 04:28:42 pm »
yes,, it would only be a little faster, if any, I think good is good,, but that being said,, I have ruined bows trying to make them better,, its a judgement call,,if it shoots good now,, flip the tips and heat reflex in the next one,,
I was posting while Badger commented,, I think I have ruined more bows,, so am more concervative,,or just not as brave,, (-S
also shoot through chrono before and after,,so you can jugde for yourself next time,, (f)
   also while I am being conservative, this time of year,, with bows inside low relative humidiy,,heat treating can cause the wood to be at a dangeriously low moisture content,, not tryingn to sound negative,,I blew up a sinew bow like that,, and when I measured the pieces they were close to 4 %
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:46:28 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 07:51:17 pm »
Tips on that stave look thick to me. Cutting weight there ought to gain you a little speed imo.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 02:51:47 am »
If it took set before, it will take set again... UNLESS you do some other work as well as adding reflex.
So if you heat treat, re-tiller and add a little reflex it can improve the bow.
But if you just add reflex it probably will just take more set.
Treat it as if you are starting with a bow that is 75% finished and rework the whole thing.
I've refurbished/re-worked several old bows and improved every one of them  :) .
I just suggest not overdoing the reflex.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 03:35:32 am »
This is helpful, thanks guys. I'll consider these things carefully before I decide

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 09:15:45 am »
Ok I've decided: Imma go ahead and glue on some snakeskins, and tru-oil the belly, and call my first completed bow a success. Couldn't have done it without you! Some stuff I figured out on my own, but certain things I just didn't comprehend until you guys took the time to explain. For this I am grateful. Happy new year!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 05:04:44 pm »
Glad that you have enjoyed your build! We learn from the last bow almost every time. As for reflex. I am in at this time in my bow building. Getting real good performance with the bows with 2-1/2 in reflex. Most all at last 9". That being said have fun building more bows.
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 10:36:52 pm »
Thank you Arvin! My next build is definitely going to exploit reflex. I might even do a 5-curve just to see how many people tell me to wait on that...lol

Also thinking to cut two limbs from this slanted stave of incense cedar, splice them onto ocean spray for a handle and sinew the hell out of it.