Author Topic: Shot the .32 Kibler today  (Read 9485 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Shot the .32 Kibler today
« on: January 01, 2019, 04:55:00 pm »
I was thinking about selling my unshot Kibler SMR at the Alabama long rifle show on the 11th at Wheeler lodge but decided I would regret it later, so I decided to break it in.

I had never shot a .32 before but found it would really stack them in. I did have a problem with the groups walking to the left the more I shot. I adjusted the sight to center the group, fired a few more shot and off to the left it went again. It appeared to have settled in on about my 20th shot and was right down the middle to stay.

I can't see sights worth a hoot with my 71 year old eyes but still managed to shoot some nickel sized groups at 25 yards.

I did find the little .32 cruds up quite a bit after a dozen shots or so and started flashing the pan even with wiping after every shot.

I was shooting 25 gr of 3F, a .31 ball and a .012 ticking patch. A friend who has shot more that most people on the planet suggested I try 15 gr and go up if that doesn't shoot better than the load I was shooting.

She is a sweetheart;

Offline chamookman

Re: Shot the .32 Kibler today
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 12:46:27 am »
Had a .32 Percusion Gun a while back - lots of fun to shoot, and amazingly accurate  :-M ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:56:59 am »
That's a pretty little streamlined rifle. I bet it is fun to shoot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 06:26:19 am »
At the narrowest part of the swamped barrel I can circle the stock/barrel area with my finger and thumb and the circle will be only slightly bigger than a quarter, the gun is very slender and has a 46" barrel.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 09:31:24 am »
My understanding is that the smaller bores crud up quickly, until They settle in, then not quite as bad, depending on the weather.  I don't have anything smaller than .45, though.  At a match, I swab after every relay, sometimes more.  Sweet looking rifle - look out, squirrels! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 10:42:06 pm »
Careful with those hot loads in this big bore! You are just gonna train yourself to flinch!!!   :-M
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gifford

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 08:07:12 am »
One of the old timers at the club shoot told me 'don't take much powder to push a ball through the paper target and cardboard backing'.  True 'nuff, especially on the 25 yd targets, the 100 yd are a completely different problem, one I've never successfuly solved.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 11:47:31 am »
Giff,
At 25 & 50 yards, I generally use a half load, at 100, I use a full charge.  Not necessarily hitting more often, but at least the ball reaches the target! :-M!  It has to do with the operator headspace and timing!  Btw, I think I will be able to start shooting again in Feb.!  Time to cast up some round balls!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 11:58:54 am »
Considering the small caliber and what you could reasonably hunt with it...Would this be a Kibler elf gun?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:06 am »
 (lol) (lol) (lol)  :OK - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 06:59:58 am »
I had an elf licking on the bottom of one of my fancy deck chairs, I ran him off multiple times but he always came back the next day. Sunday morning he started licking the web seat and I know his next move would be to chew a chunk out of it.

Destructive elfs don't get much sympathy around my place so I decided to dispatch him. I went to my gun safe, reached across my elf gun for my trusty 22. The elf saw me coming and scampered up the side of a tree about 30 yards away but he stopped and looked back, big mistake. After I hit him the first time he headed for the tree line. I put two more in him before he got out of sight, he flip flopped on the last shot. Shot to pieces, I left him for the coyotes.

When hunting dangerous destructive elves one doesn't go for a single shot fancey elf gun.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 06:48:13 pm »
Nor does one follow a wounded cottontail into the brush without backup.  That's why I want the double barreled flintlock Howda pistol in .62 caliber! 

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 09:27:58 am »
Been coming here for many years. I didn't even know there was a muzzleloader forum here. Lol

I have a 46" 32 cal barrel coming from Rice very soon. He's also making me a 32 cal pistol barrel for backup.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 03:24:18 pm »
nice gun Eric  :-M  (B)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 09:45:45 am »

When hunting dangerous destructive elves one doesn't go for a single shot fancey elf gun.

Yep, and if you are being mugged by a gang of clowns always go for the juggler...
 ;)