Author Topic: Self bow question  (Read 3472 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Self bow question
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 11:12:42 am »
Bassman, I'm good.  Happy New Year!

Plain sawn, quarter sawn and rift sawn boards will make bows.  My favorite is rift sawn.
On a board, 1/4 sawn needs straight edge grain with no run outs. With the other 2, a run out or 2 per limb is fine.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bassman

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 02:54:11 pm »
I have built 6 Sudbury bows edge grain,and they are still going strong. Just thought I would take a shot at some bad locust to see if I could get a bow out of it. Some times it works and other times not so much. It came out with no set, and shoots nice so I am not ready to give up on it quiet yet. I will back it with vertical grain hickory and see how it works.Thank you all for your input.Bob

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 03:06:42 pm »
  Why are you going to back it if it came out with no set and shoots nice. A backing will create an entirely new bow.

Offline bassman

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 05:04:23 pm »
Badger , I don,t think it will hold up with edge grain with horizontal knots going across the back of the bow in few different places, but it would stand a chance if I back it.I know when you build , you build with good woods. Some times for the halibit I try to make a functional bow with what ever wood I have.I have learned a lot from you ,and other guys on here.Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 08:03:21 pm »
A knot across the bow may be a death sentence. Hard to deal with that kind of knot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:14 pm »
A knot across the bow may be a death sentence. Hard to deal with that kind of knot.

I wasn't aware of the knots