Author Topic: A walk in the woods  (Read 3187 times)

Offline osage outlaw

A walk in the woods
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:20:37 pm »
I hope you guys don't mind some nature pictures.  The weather has been incredible lately.  Usually this time of year I'm hibernating in my small work shop.  I've been enjoying getting out and wondering around the woods.  Today I walked the hillside behind my house.  It didn't take me long to find a well used deer trail with a string of Cedar trees rubbed on.  Next year I'll have a stand or a ground blind just inside the tree line.  You can see my house in the background of the first picture.

I found 4 trees like this along that trail. 

I was on the lookout for some more trees to take to the sawmill.  I found this beautiful walnut tree. 

Not too far away I found a large Cedar and a Cherry tree growing next to each other.  I want to take those to the mill also. 

It's kind of unusual for large osage trees to die while still standing.  On our property they usually uproot and fall over first.  Part of the tree was still alive.  It didn't look like good bow wood. 

I circled down around the bottom of the hillside and walked up the creek bed.  The weather hasn't been cold enough to hurt the moss yet.  The rocks are a beautiful green among the dead leaves. 

A small jawbone in the water

An old rock wall in the middle of nowhere.  I wish I knew the history of this.  I have a stand right next to it.  I found a stone point in the creek a few yards away. 

The only constant source of water on our property.  My grandpa built this long ago.  I spent many  hours catching bluegill out of it when I was a kid.  My first selfbow kill took a drink from it right before my arrow found it's mark.   

I hiked up the hill towards the house and found a new spring has opened up.  The deer had found it before I did.  I saw a lot of tracks around it.  I found a couple more interesting items before I made it home.  The turtle shell is now in my wife's flower bed with a few more from previous walks.  It looks like we have white turtles living there.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: A walk in the woods
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:25:18 pm »
Looks like you had a nice walk Clint.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:16:37 pm »
Interesting walk, Clint. Thanks for taking us along.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:15 pm »
Enjoyed that!  Woods are quiet now, but it's still mid winter - green up is 2 or 3 months away! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:29:32 am »
Nice story... I like the shell :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:16:42 am »
Thanks Clint, I needed that. Nothing like a walk in the woods in the winter without snow, to have her give up her secrets.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 05:19:31 am »
Thanks Clint, I love walks in the woods this time of year.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 06:36:58 am »
Yes me too Clint.I gave my area a once through just lately looking for any gun wounded bucks who may have died.None and no sheds yet either.I will look later after final gun season is over at the end of january.Saw many rubs too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 01:29:15 pm »
I do the same thing Ed.  I find a dead buck about every 2-3 years.  Usually they are around that pond. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »
That's an unusual colored turtle shell.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 05:34:44 am »
I think that one has lost it scales as they do when are weathered for a while Ed. Looks like a box turtle to me, we call the terrapins. I have a few like that and also a few that I found just in time that still have the scales and pattern. Nice rubs Clint. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 05:37:27 am »
You are right about the turtle shell Pappy.  It's a box turtle that lost the scales and was bleached by the sun. 

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 07:26:20 am »
Get the right slab of rock and that turtle shell would make a great turkey call. Mike Cook makes them using turtle shells and they look and work great.  Would be a nice addition to your home grown gear. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 01:36:32 pm »
Ohhh ok.I used to see those coon hunting in southern Illinois.Ones with the flipper lower flap the closes over their head.Don't have them around here.Many snappers around here get hit and killed but never seen them turn white.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 06:44:26 pm »
Must have been an awesome childhood growing up with woods like that. I work with so many kids who will never have that experience. It's so much a part of who I am, I can't imagine being without it.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb