Author Topic: A walk in the woods  (Read 3183 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: A walk in the woods
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 12:05:46 am »
It's a shame too.I used to take kids with me coon hunting many times.Course I put em to work and gave them a dog lead to lead a dog but the whole experience gave em confidence and a little thrill being at night in the woods.They seen they could entertain themselves without sitting on a couch playing video games.Many things to learn out there about mother nature if their out enough.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:19:55 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 10:10:34 am »
Ain't nuthin' better than a walk in the woods. I thoroughly believe that a lot of sports like hunting and fishing are just an excuse to go for a walk in the woods :) :)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 02:57:03 pm »
Right on Ed. It's hard to measure the cumulative effect of childhood years spent on a couch playing video games vs. out exploring nature, but I'm sure the difference is significant.

Haha I like that DC.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JEB

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 04:12:41 pm »
My grand kids are being raised in the woods. We gave the kids a few acres and they built a house on the hunting property.  All 5 are home schooled and their play time is wondering the property or shooting the 3 D course that I have set up. No TV and computer use is for school work only. The 16 year old is a 2nd year Latin student and uses skype for help when he needs it.  NO PHONES.  We are real proud of our kids and grandkids.

Being a former LEO I like to tell folks if your kids are in the woods they ain't in jail.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 04:26:03 pm »
I've lived on this property my entire life.  My parents let me roam the woods alone from a very young age.  I have been exploring it for close to 35 years. I get a reaction from insect bites that keeps me out of the woods during the summer months.   During deer season I stay out unless I'm hunting or tracking.  The winter and early spring is my time to enjoy walking the property.   I love to look for sheds and walk the creek beds looking for stone points.  I really enjoy heading out after a good snow.  The woods are beautiful then. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left