Author Topic: Take down handle question  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Balsatech

Take down handle question
« on: December 26, 2018, 12:33:49 pm »
To anyone who has done this,When building up a take down handle with cork. I already have glued together and shaped over my metal sleeves, do you stabilize it with possibly some CA glue. Thinking I should do something to waterproof before wrapping leather. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Take down handle question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 12:59:16 pm »
I use leather to fill out the handle and sometimes use super glue but sometimes just coat it well it Tru-Oil, my typical finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 01:49:05 pm »
Thanks Pat, I use leather for building up a arrow shelf  and use CA glue on those,  and just stitch and use a little barge cement on my leather grips. Just thinking about those that have used cork and if they stabilized it with anything before wrapping.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 03:44:17 pm »
Cork stops wine from leaking through so it doesn't really need any help.

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:52:46 pm »
Pat M, sometimes the obvious never enters my mind. Must be the wine.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 07:42:59 am »
 Even though cork is porous, it is impermeable. When I use it to build up a handle, I’ve never coated it with anything other than with what I’m gluing the leather down.
Eric

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 08:40:51 pm »
I ended up just stretching my leather over the cork. Got to thinking about you guys replies and also about every thing I've used CA glue on becomes pretty hard. The cork had some cushion to it under the leather wrap and feels good in hand.

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 12:05:18 am »
You can wrap the cork  sticky side out with electrical tape, and add the leather grip over the sticky side of the tape.Done