Author Topic: Bone Arrowheads Anyone Can Make  (Read 111562 times)

Offline Andrea S

Bone Arrowheads Anyone Can Make
« on: April 05, 2008, 04:04:32 pm »
Before traders came along, you're well aware that the native Americans used stone and knapped their arrowheads. However, in places such as the Northern Plains, there was no suitable rock to be found. Instead, they crafted their arrowheads and spearpoints from elk, antelope, or buffalo bone.

The points I will be showing how to make are crafted from cow bone, as it is the most readily available to me. I call these bone points "anyone can make" because I'm a college kid with limited resources and a limited budget, so if I can make them, chances are, you should be able to as well. I'm using a Dremel tool for most of the shaping (primitive, I know) because it's the best tool I have for the job. You could just as easily (though perhaps not as quickly) use a coping saw and hand files and rasps to do the same thing I'm doing.

A word of warning: bone dust is SMELLY. Unless your shop has fantastic ventilation (I'm talking chem lab fume hood here), you're doing your work right next to a running shop vac, or you just really love funky smelling things...DO IT OUTSIDE. Your wife will thank you, your roommates will thank you, your nose will thank you. If it's breezy and you can get it so the wind is blowing everything away from you, more's the better.

Okay, so, here we go.

Supplies:
- Beef bone, clean as possible, or bone from any other critter that's at least 1/4" thick
- Pocket knife
- Dremel tool, with cutoff wheels and sanding cylinders
- Small hand files
- Safety glasses (you only have one set of eyeballs!!!)
- Particulate filter mask (so you’re not snorking bone dust)

It was suggested that I try a pet store to find beef bones. I did, at Wally World, for under $4. It was double wrapped and labeled something like "Beef Ribeye Chew". I wouldn't try using the knob ends of the bones, since they don't provide a good flat blank.

It still had gristle on it. If you can avoid getting gristly bone, do so. The gristle is great for your dog but you're trying to make a bone head here, not a meat head  ::). I boiled it for a bit to soften up the gristle, which created a rather interesting smell, and may or may not have actually done anything important. I then used my trusty pocket knife to scrape away the gristle and membrane as best I could. Don’t worry about getting it super duper clean; the gristle is likely to get ground completely off in shaping. The only annoying part is that pencil doesn’t really write on it.

So then, we have a nice clean bone:

Now, you should look the bone piece over for cracks. Mark them out with a red pen so you don't accidentally try to make an arrowhead out of the cracked section.

Also, these bones often have a large vein cavity running through them. You can find them by looking for a large hole in the end of the bone, then following the slightly raised section across the surface. I'm not 100% sure if using this portion is entirely detrimental, but I'm not going to try finding out the hard way. Mark where the vein runs with a red pen, same as the cracks.

After some consideration, I decided on two different sizes for my arrowheads. Making some wide and some thin arrowheads is probably the best way to maximize space usage on a bone. I made paper templates and traced the outlines of the arrowheads in appropriate places on the bone with pencil.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Andrea S

Bone Arrowheads Anyone Can Make
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 04:15:36 pm »
The trick is to make the arrowheads fit into the flat planes of the bone as much as possible. If there is unavoidable curvature underneath the template, make it so that the point area is the curved part, as it will be taken down the most in thickness and the curve can probably be negated. You can see in the below picture that the placement of that arrowhead is too curved at the butt end, so it needs to be shifted left.

You have to constantly keep sighting down the bone to see it, though, because from the top, the placement of the template looks just fine.

When you’re satisfied with the placement, trace the outside edge of your pencil marks with a regular sized Sharpie marker. The thickness of this mark is appropriate to allow for the kerf of the Dremel cut-off wheel. You can see I've simplified the points to triangles, because it will be much easier to cut the notches at a later stage.

Now, get an extension cord and take your dremel and your bone and a big pile of cutoff wheels OUTSIDE.

The toughest part of cutting out these forms is allowing for curvature of the shape. You will grenade a cutoff wheel REAL quick if you try to make it follow a curve while cutting. Bone grinds down surprisingly fast, but this job will likely take you a while, because no matter how good your technique, cutoff wheels will be exploding all over the place.

Eventually, you will end up with something like this:

And with a little persistence, you'll end up with these:

Next up, shaping - get your sanding drum Dremel bits ready!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Bone Arrowheads Anyone Can Make
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 04:57:38 pm »
you go Girl!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 05:15:20 pm »
This is interesting Andrea. Thanks for taking the time to post this build along. 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:53:11 pm »
very nice! i like it
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 07:30:07 pm »
Looks like they're well on their way. Does the band-aid have anything to do with the trusty pocketknife?  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 08:40:49 pm »
great job cant wait to see rest have my sanding drum on my dremmel tool and my box of bandaids ready to go .Actually I have a couple of large cow bones that  I thought about trying so Im watching to see how yours come out
                                                      Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Dustybaer

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 10:34:20 pm »
yep, can't wait for this one.  got a huge cow bone in the freezer, that wants to become a butload of arrowheads  ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 10:55:07 pm »
Cool do along Andrea I have a couple deer legbones I keep meaning to do something with :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 11:43:21 pm »
Nope, the band aid was from using a board full of nails to separate out some nice greasy buffalo sinew, and accidentally separating out my finger in the process. Wasn't really fully aware of it till the fibers started turning pink.  :o

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 01:02:40 am »
Okay, so...bones being the generally non-flat items they are, your blanks are bound to end up with some googly shapes. So, throw on the handy-dandy sanding drum bit and start shaping it out until it looks like a normal and perfect arrowhead blank.

Now, your bone piece is going to have a natural curve to it, as you can see from the end.

Don't fight it - work with it. If you mimic that curve on the convex side, you've begun to flute your arrowhead!

Make sure you've got everything all nice and symmetrical...sometimes a large part of that involves simply adjusting the angle of the bottom.

Then, draw out where you want the edge taper to begin.

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 01:54:08 am »
Just start ripping away with that dremel, making your angle tapers meet in a nice straight edge. When you've got that much roughed out, decide where you want your fluting to be. Then, draw a line across the arrowhead a little bit more towards the tip from where your fluting ends. From this line to the tip is where your taper will be (in terms of the thickness of the arrowhead).

Then, be sure to shiver a whole bunch because you're doing this outside in the cold.

Here's a profile of the taper.

It's tough to see the fluting in these pictures, but I've used the drum sanding bit and basically laid it down between my marks to make a channel, then moved it about to add some taper. I've also drawn on where I need to cut the corners so that the arrowhead is easier to pull out of a target, and the notches where sinew will be wrapped to secure the head to the shaft.

Back to the cutoff wheel, and a bit more of the sanding drum to smooth the bottom out, and voila!!

Minus some final sharpening, you've got yourself an arrowhead!

Pretty neat, compared to that ugly chunk of bone we started with.

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 01:55:34 am »
Please, feel free to ask any questions, or better yet, before I complete any more of these arrowheads, point out anything I might've screwed up!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 02:01:05 am »

For a second I thought this was going to be safer than knapping. Now I can see that my leg is in just as much danger and probably my fingers too. 
Thanks for sharing this Andrea.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 02:06:08 am »
Yeah, I dremelled (just invented that word) my fingers once or twice with the sanding drum...hurt like heck for a few good seconds. Luckily haven't gotten myself with a cutoff wheel, and I don't even want to think about it!! Yowch!