Author Topic: Fletching tape  (Read 2206 times)

Offline DC

Fletching tape
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:25:03 am »
I'm toying with the idea of trying this stuff. I have some kicking around because I used to use it to seam the sails on my model sailboats. It worked well for that so I know it's strong. What I'm wondering about is if the tape is a little wider than the fletch do use find that grunge builds up on the exposed sticky part?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Fletching tape
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:35:17 am »
I love the stuff for fletching.  I wrap the leading edge of the feather with thread soaked in superglue.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 09:40:22 am »
I like it too. I even use a small piece on "primitive arrows" that I normally just wrap the front and rear of the fletching to hold the center down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:05:10 am »
I also love the tape.  Makes fletching quick and easy, and no messy glue.  I typically seal, then fletch, then seal again around the base of the fletchings to help hold everything down.  This also seals out the dirt and debris from any exposed tape.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:34 am »
I've used thick CA up til now but I'm getting tired of gluing the fletch to the jig. Old eyes, shaky hands and CA don't mix well ;D I'll give it a try.
Don't think I can seal around the base of the fletch though.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:42:41 am »
It's pretty good stuff, just have to be a bit careful lining it up on the fletch.  I do similar to At and OO.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 03:41:57 pm »
I have had fletching fold over in the sun so I quit using it.  It is a love/hate relationship with that stuff. Some love it and some hate it.  If you try it and like it then go for it. I use Locktite Ultra Gel myself. But I do remove the tube from the plastic outer shell first.