Author Topic: How much reflex is too much  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Badger

Re: How much reflex is too much
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 04:15:11 pm »
Badger, did you say once before that you can tell the difference between pullout and set using that method. Pullout is permanent and set kinda comes and goes?

Not 100%. but I have noticed bows that tend to come back after unbracing seem to have lower efficiency than bows that stay the same after unbracing. So it kind of leads me to believe that not all set is alike. I have had bows that lost 3" of induced reflex but still behaved like a bow without much set, these same bows also remained mostly the same after unbracing.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 04:30:59 pm »
Thanks Steve, I'll try and remember that. I think it will be handy. Most of my bows have induced reflex and it can get real confusing at times trying to distinguish between the two.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:49 pm »
The stress on the limb is going to be related to total limb movement. At 28 inches of draw the limbs are only moving a portion of that distance. I can't remember exactly how far they move. It also depends on brace height and if it has reflex/deflex. Anyway increasing reflex increases, significantly, the limb movement required to get similar draw lengths. So ask yourself, would you be comfortable adding that much extra to your draw if it was a straight bow. At your 6 inches of reflex it would be stressing it like if you drew it to 34" given your normal draw is 28". Actually it would be even more than 34" since there is more draw distance acheived for a given limb movement, but you get the point. A lot of people won't hesitate putting 3 inches of reflex on a bow, but if you instead asked them to build that same bow with no reflex out to a 31" draw they would be hesitant. More and more, I am leaning away from reflex. Like badger, I'm thinking it's better to start with no reflex and get no set, than to start with lots of reflex only to end up with just a little.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.