Author Topic: arrow length?  (Read 4375 times)

Offline redhillwoods

arrow length?
« on: January 11, 2019, 06:46:32 pm »
I have always used 32" shafts for making arrows for a standard 28" draw length. I've just purchased sitka spruce shafts that are 34" long. Should l cut them down or leave them and just make sure that the bow isn't overdrawn?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: arrow length?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:03:20 pm »
what ever shoots well is ok,, I would probably cut them down a bit and testing to make sure they are shooting well,, it will change the spine as they go shorter,, maybe a nice compromise would be 30 inches,,but test one cutting shorter and testing it to make sure it shoots well,,you could go to 29 if you need to make the arrow stiffer for arrow flight,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:36:18 pm »
The raw shafts are spined for a 28" arrow with a 125gr point. Each inch over the 28" would reduce the effective spine by 5#.  So if the shafts are  34" long they will effectively shoot like an arrow 30# lighter, your 32" arrows 20# lighter from the indicated spine.
I draw 26" but shoot arrows around 30". Like Brad said whatever shoots well is OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline maitus

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:14:36 pm »

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:36:13 pm »
If you have always used 32 inch arrows and they fly good then that is what  you use. I cut my arrows down so they stick out 1/2 inch out in front of my bow.  But I have been at this for 60 years and am use to shooting that length. I don't like a longer arrow than what I need to shoot.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 05:55:56 am »
Pat B...Have you counted how many times you've informed that?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 06:17:14 am »
Gave that up a long time ago, Ed.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 03:46:10 pm »
It's amazing how many people don't know that Pat and it is very good info to know if you wonder why your 50 ld spined arrows aren't flying well out of you 50 ld bow. and you have either left them at 30 or more or cut them to 26 ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 04:02:45 pm »
Arrow 101.  ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:31:57 am »
Hell, I've been shooting bows about 70 years, and I didn't know/pay attention to that until I got onto this site!  I just thought it was all "Kentucky Windage"!  Shortened up a set of arrows and will report results when the weather gets a big better.  My arrows were "matched" to a 50# recurve, and shot off that bow, my 43# fg flat bow, and a 50# compound !  I'm still shooting and al, the bows survived!  "Ignorance is bliss"!! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 01:12:04 am »
Pat - want to get a blank stare out Folks ? Ask them about - reed and rift  (A)  :OK. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 06:27:12 am »
 :o   ???   :-\   ::)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 10:10:25 am »
Blank stare next week! (lol). I just read about those in TBB3!   Me, teacher! Me!  Now, to try to foot an arrow or more!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 10:12:36 pm »
Redhill,
we make those shafts 34" to accommodate folks with longer draws, and absolutely as Pat says- shooting longer arrows will reduce the dynamic spine of the shaft.
dont feel bad about trimming the shafts down to the right length for you.
here is a spine chart, but bear in mind this is for an English longbow-  but it will help demonstrate the sliding scale relationship between arrow length, draw weight, point mass and static spine.