Author Topic: What's your range looking like?  (Read 9624 times)

Offline Mesophilic

What's your range looking like?
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:38:39 pm »
What's your range look like this time of year? 

Had a fun time until my first hornbow prototype cracked the horn near the fade and ruined the lovely mountain winter ambience. Wish the falling snow showed up in this pic, it was a great day to be out of the house.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

Re: What's your range looking like?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 08:37:34 pm »
If I'd broken a horn bow after all that work the snow would have been melted because of my language ;D ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:56:55 pm »
That would rate an "Aww phooey(rhymes with it)! >:D. Neat looking range, though!  Hopefully you get a bunch more moisture this season!  Bummer about the bow,  though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:59:37 am »
I think I can fix it with a little epoxy and  a sinew wrap.  Though, after the snow falls these next few days I'm not sure if I can get back to the range without snow chains...of which I don't have yet.  It sure is nice being the only one out there.

We've got a pretty nice range setup.  If anyone is interested in shooting in the mountains of N. New Mexico we do an organized competition each summer.  I think we set up about 4 dozen 3d targets in the woods, but it's mostly wheel bow guys so we could use some more trad shooters.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 05:48:24 pm »
My range is knee deep snow, been shooting inside the barn. Is your shoot at Los Alamos? Would be fun to come represent traditional archery.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 07:49:22 pm »
Yes, sir, Los Alamos, NM.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 10:33:17 pm »
North of Santa Fe, south of Taos?  Keep us posted on the dates! (SH) :NN :OK
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Online WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 06:11:06 pm »
Nice looking range!  Sorry to hear about the bow. I can only imagine...

We live on a few acres, so we get to shoot in the back yard.  I have three targets, each made of three stacked hay bales with a rotating menagerie of 3d and burlap critters in front of them.  10, 20, and 30 yards.  The 10 and 20 yarders are backed with plywood.  I was going to put up 40 and 50 yard targets this fall, but the neighbors cows got out and ate my backstops!

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 07:07:53 pm »
North of Santa Fe, south of Taos?  Keep us posted on the dates! (SH) :NN :OK
Hawkdancer

Will do, it'd be pretty cool to have some more trad shooters.  I have to warn you, we have a gentleman named Archie Nixon who shoots both trad and wheels, all over the country.  He's a joy to watch but very hard to beat.  Figure it's a small world and maybe one or two of yoj might know him.

WhistlingBadger, I'd love to put a couple of hay bales in my back yard but I already have enough deer eating things they're not supposed to like, they'd think someone rang a dinner bell.  They eat cilantro, garlic, onions, corn poppies, basil, and even nibble the mint plants.  So far the only things they haven't touched are rosemary and oregano. 

-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 11:47:35 pm »
They should be tasty by the end of summer!  Add some corn to fatten them up >:D (SH) :-D!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 05:23:00 am »
Beautiful range, we don't get much snow here so we really enjoy it when we do. Sorry about the bow, hope you can repair it OK. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RandyN

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 03:44:59 pm »
I thought I recognized that range. Live across the way in Santa Fe. Glad to see you guys are getting snow too. Nice to look across the way and see your mountains white.

Sorry to hear about your bow. Take some pics once you get her repaired.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 07:52:19 pm »
Randy, if you haven't been up in a while, we've done a bit of work over the summer.  There's now metal roof over the shooting line with benches and tables.  Also leveled the range, thou you can't see it with the snow, and put doen a nice path of millings that bisects the targets.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 12:24:15 am »
Wow!  Sounds like you guys are trying to go first class!  We do have a covered area for lunch and stuff!  Shooting lines are open air!  Real pain if here is a west  wind, if you are on the east side of he course!  We seem to have dominant. Winds that are always to the side of where you want to shoot!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline RandyN

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 09:26:06 am »
That sounds very nice. Maybe we could get together and shoot some. After some of the snow is gone. HaHa.
It has been a long time since I have been to your range. Do you guys still leave the 3D targets out over the summer? You have awesome terrain to shoot in with very nice walking paths.