Author Topic: What's your range looking like?  (Read 9625 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Re: What's your range looking like?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 06:22:27 pm »
That sounds very nice. Maybe we could get together and shoot some. After some of the snow is gone. HaHa.
It has been a long time since I have been to your range. Do you guys still leave the 3D targets out over the summer? You have awesome terrain to shoot in with very nice walking paths.

Definitely,  any time you want to come on up.

We do leave them out over the summer but they're generally covered and off limits except for 3D league nights.  There's a few beaters that are for practice, they're ok to shoot on any time.  I'm going to try to see if I can talk management in to rebuilding the walking paths with, hay bale targets at least.  There's been a general interest in a walking range that isn't just set aside for league nights so maybe I can help get it going.

There's still some old hay bales from yester years out in the forrest.  I tend shoot on these a lot.   They're too far gone for the wheel bow shooters but just fine for trad bows. 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 06:31:40 pm »
Wow!  Sounds like you guys are trying to go first class!  We do have a covered area for lunch and stuff!  Shooting lines are open air!  Real pain if here is a west  wind, if you are on the east side of he course!  We seem to have dominant. Winds that are always to the side of where you want to shoot!
Hawkdancer

It's a pretty nice range. In addition to the covered shooting line we also have a huge covered picnic area with tables and benches, along with a large fire pit and a grill big enough for a side of beef (maybe I'm over exaggerating,  but it is pretty big).  It is a private club with annual dues so that helps a bunch.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 10:32:10 pm »
Our range is actually on CPW (Lon Hagler SWA) land, but we do all the maintenance and improvement, it's also open to the public.  We do solicit donations, and recruit new members.  Our backstops are cotton bales, I think - the big ones!  The broad head pits are sand.  We have a couple of workdays each year.  It is about 2.5 miles from my house, that helps, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 08:30:01 pm »

WhistlingBadger, I'd love to put a couple of hay bales in my back yard but I already have enough deer eating things they're not supposed to like, they'd think someone rang a dinner bell.  They eat cilantro, garlic, onions, corn poppies, basil, and even nibble the mint plants.  So far the only things they haven't touched are rosemary and oregano.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just now noticed your reply.  I think your deer must be related to our grasshoppers--in a bad year they'll even eat my onions to the ground.  Last year they ate all the leaves off two of my apple trees.  Anyway, once the hay gets a bit moldy, the deer won't touch it.  The cows are too dumb to notice.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour