Author Topic: Flying pig  (Read 8688 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Flying pig
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 11:28:38 pm »
If it isn't real big,( pigeon size) it is possibly a sparrow hawk,(or kestrel). 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 12:04:16 pm »
Looks like a red shouldered hawk to me, but hard to say.

My youngest is almost 13 but I still have dozens of nursery rhymes stuck in my head from reading to the kids when they were little.

Hickory dickory dare
A pig flew up in the air
The man in brown
Soon brought it down
Hickory dickory dare

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 12:57:55 pm »
My second guess was a brown shouldered hawk too.The hawk is a shade smalller than a red tail hawk so it's definitely not a sparrow hawk.I see those a lot around here too.Both red shoulder and northern gos are native to Iowa.
Anyway it's winter and it's slim pickens for these raptors.Except for scavaging on road killed deer and other anilmals.The DNR has put a stifle on the road killed deer too testing them for CWD then pulling them off the road.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 01:10:31 pm »
Goshawks are quite skinny with long legs but all huddled up in the cold like that it's hard to say. I would guess that it's not a gos. Immature colouring can mess with your guesses this time of year too.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 02:37:56 pm »
Yes I realize that about immaturity.Especially on red tailed hawks and have seen those before.I'm sure it's not an immature red tail though because the the tail feathers are barred.This birds legs are longer and skinnier than a red tailed hawks is too.Overall the bird is smaller boned than a red tail.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 06:39:39 pm »
Yup, she's a red shouldered hawk. Great mousers.  The red on the shoulder (that is really the wrist) is a dead give-away, and so is that lovely banded tail. Your photo also shows the third give-away...long skinny yellow legs!  Lotta times photos don't always catch the details that are the best for identifying raptors, but this one nailed them all.

They will sometimes make a run on blue jays, pigeons, doves and the like, but aren't generally fast and agile enough to make this their usual diet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-shouldered_hawk
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 06:26:51 am »
Thanks JW.My intuitions were right then.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 12:05:46 pm »
You nailed that one, Ed.

Last time I went to the Tennessee Classic, I saw them everywhere on the way back. We have them here in South Dakota, but only in the very bottom eastern corner. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 05:14:32 pm »
Cool bird Ed. I don't think we get the red-shouldered hawks up here. We are, however, gonna get the leftovers from that storm that hit you. They're forecasting 12-18" by Monday.  (S)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 05:36:44 pm »
We're still snow free. Just a slight dusting. Supposed to get a inch or two. Sure makes winter easier but I kinda miss it just a little. Not a real lot though
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 05:40:31 am »
We got a light dusting her in Rochester last night. First snow in a month. It is only a 3 block walk to the Mayo building. Son back home in Michigan says he has yet to plow his drive.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 10:43:38 am »
JEB, that's not Rochester, NY is it?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JEB

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 01:48:18 pm »
No, wife  is in the Mayo hospital in Minnesota .

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 03:32:41 pm »
Gotcha. When it comes to primitive archery it's pretty lonely around here, so I just thought I'd ask. My best to you and the Mrs.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 03:36:52 pm »
Got a little snow here now Jon. I have a cousin not far from Rochester. This one just seemed to fit the snow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise