Author Topic: C'est la vie  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: C'est la vie
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 10:31:16 am »
I've only used elm a few times, each time I used the wood right under the bark. I was quite impressed how good of a bow wood elm is. I built 60" selfbows and maybe one sinew backed.
 The reason I asked about the wood is this looks like a tension failure across the back which usually means unsound wood. Was the trunk dealt with correctly after cutting the tree? I had a hickory log given to me that laid on the ground for 2 weeks before putting it in a garage, off the ground for 2 years. The first piece I used failed. That little time on the ground allowed fungi to infect the wood and even 2 years in the dry didn't prevent the infection.
 Trying to figure out the reason for failures can be a real problem. I don't see and reason for failure from your pics so I suggested the possibility of fungal infection.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 12:33:44 pm »
Thanx for your thoughts Pat - I got the staves from a expirienced bowyer and have also seen pics in our club house of a whole group cutting and splitting that huge elm - they did it together, event-like. So I cannot imagine the staves have been laying around long time on the ground. There have already been done successful bows of that tree and mine was a success until I overdraw it. I'm not blaming the wood but only myself...
--- the queen rules ----

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 03:50:42 pm »
 did you check the moisture content

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 03:59:22 pm »
It does seem  like that elm isn't quite the wood our better stuff is.    Also smaller trees seem to be relatively stronger wood.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 02:09:43 am »
May be the elm had the dutch elm desease (Ophiostoma ulmi / Ophiostoma novo - ulmi). On a big elm, it is possible that only a part of the tree was infected.
Had the stave some dark points or stripes in it ( or some white spots like a salt flake) when you worked on it?

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 11:28:53 am »
Oh sh..!
I agree with you simk, it was build right on the edge und you overdraw it!
61" is not really long for this design imo (- i never worked with elm, and never made such a design)
How long are the levers, how much reflex did you have and did you heat treat?