Author Topic: Elk Hunting advice  (Read 13376 times)

Offline JEB

Re: Elk Hunting advice
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2019, 03:03:49 pm »
You did real good.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2019, 03:14:03 pm »
Nice buy Clint, Beau had one like that and I have to older green one with the aluminum frame, tough and worked well. I carried mine in 1989 the first trip and still working great 30 years later, it is probably a little heavier that the newer models. Yes Bob that is right where we were, camped by Big fish lake for a few nights and then up in Bolder for several more. Base camp in the camp ground before you cross over White river and enter White River Flat top area. We went into the flat top a couple of days, about 11,400 I think was the highest we were and we come from 500  ASL so quite a difference. I am excited for you Clint, you will love it. We plan on going back in 2020 good Lord willing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2019, 03:27:08 pm »
I would rather it be the darker camo pattern instead of the desert pattern Pappy.  Oh well, maybe I'll darken it up with some blood from an elk quarter.  This is my second military bag.  I like how sturdy they are. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2019, 03:54:03 pm »
Actually where we were that camo was great, I wore the paints in that pattern a lot. Blends well unless you are in the dark timber. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2019, 11:22:15 pm »
That camo should do you well!  A few blood/dark blotches here and there won't hurt.  That is about 20-30 years from my time humping a ruck, but a good rig!  You will notice that the background changes quickly!  You can match perfectly here and 10 yards later you stick out like a sore thumb!  The other problem is the deer and elk are color blind!  They detect movement and noise and shapes very well!  Good luck!  Let me know when you plan to come through!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2019, 08:38:24 pm »
I’m just seeing this post so sorry about being late to the party.  For the last 3 years I’ve hunted in area 78.  I’m going again this year.  I keep a very detailed pack list in xl that I can send you.  Let me know if you are interested. 
I go for 7 days and tent/bivy 5 miles from the nearest trailhead, so packing light and efficient is essential. 

I didn’t read all the post but I saw that you are already starting to train, so you are doing it right.

I’m normally in the best shape of my life right before the trip, and as soon as I get up there I wish I had done more.  Each year I train harder than the year before because I know how brutal it is.   

Anyway, let me know if I can help you in any way. 
Ben

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2019, 10:15:08 pm »
Good luck to everyone coming in to hunt!  It is just about time for the Big Game brochure to come out!  Hope you Get your first Choice in the draw!  Train hard - but Stay healthy!  Perhaps we can link up for an appropriate beverage!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2019, 12:43:12 pm »
Get ya a cow call, stop blowing it when you get in with them. Don’t forget to take your ivory teeth. Something about elk, they will hear ya 3 times,  see ya twice, but will only smell ya once. Hunt the wind. Good Luck! And have a blast. Ed.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2019, 11:29:22 am »
I'm really excited for you Clint. I've always thought about it but never done it. Can't wait to see and hear your report.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Loope

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2019, 06:33:03 pm »
Train hard before you go, but don't exert yourself too much while there.

Those mountains are steeper than in the east!  And the lack of oxygen at higher elevation makes it more so.  If your heart and lungs have been working hard training for it, you will be so much better off.

Altitude sickness is something to really consider.  It can ruin your trip or worse.  Don't exert yourself the first couple days to help acclimate.  And remember that the only real cure for altitude sickness is to go to lower elevation.  On one trip, my cousin had it so bad that he was delirious, hallucinating, and vomiting.  I had to pack up camp by myself to get us off the mountain.  We were able to go back up the mountain a couple days later, then I got altitude sickness, not nearly as bad as my cousin had it, but again we had to pack up camp and drive back to town and get a motel room.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2019, 07:38:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice.   I've been training regularly and can already tell I'm in better shape.  I've lost 49 lbs so far. 

Offline JEB

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2019, 07:57:51 pm »
we carried a pocket full of hard candy for altitude sickness. Might be the sugar in the candy that helped us.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »
That's some pretty impressive weight loss Clint. What all are you doing to accomplish that?
Looking forward to hearing about you hunt.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2019, 05:39:00 pm »
Lots of hiking and biking and a lot less food.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2019, 06:29:59 pm »
Wow Clint, probably not going to even recognize you. Sure hope you have a good time. The last time I was in the mountains that high I was still flying a lot. The altitude didn't bother me to much but my wife had a hard time with it. You will definitely notice it. The views aren't the only thing that will take your breath away.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise