Author Topic: Elk Hunting advice  (Read 13106 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Elk Hunting advice
« on: January 12, 2019, 11:54:21 am »
A friend asked me to go on an elk hunt in Colorado next fall.  We will both be using traditional archery equipment.  I have absolutely zero experience or knowledge on elk hunting.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?  I'm trying to get a list of what kind of gear I'll need like camo, binos, packs, hiking equipment, etc.  What kind of draw weight and arrow weight will I need?  I know the terrain is rough out there.  I am working on losing weight and getting in better shape. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Elk Hunting advice
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 12:30:22 pm »
Dave, AKA dvshunter, elk hunted out there a year or two ago. Might want to see if you can contact him.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:33:52 pm »
Clint, I went 10yrs. in a row starting in about 1985 or so. Not sure how much things have changed. I am positive those mts didn't get any less steep. First off get in shape, thin air ain't kind to none of us flat landers. We went self guided and just backpacked in. Went to the same place  so after a few yrs. and a ton of miles got so I knew the area real well. Had a great time every trip, remember the real work starts after one is down. Plan on 4 trips minimum to backpack one out unless ya got a horse or a lama or your in a place where ya can use motors. We were in a wilderness area and cheap so we humped  out :o :o ;D I managed to kill 2 in ten yrs and should of had a few more, just way to much adrenaline for me control. As a group of 2 to 4 of us over 10 yrs killed 10 elk. One yr we went 3 for 4, other guy said he would have got one if he wasn't packin meat all the time. Also I would not even go unless I had 10 days , Just me.  Thanks for taking me back to a very beautiful time in my life. The Rocky Mts. are the marrow of the world. The first yr I went I was in shape , the second yr I went I was pine knot tuff. Keep in touch and I,ll try and answer some of your questions. Bob

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 12:38:18 pm »
I'll get in contact with Dave.

Thanks for the advice Bob.  I live in a hilly area.  I was planning on doing a lot of hiking this year with a weighted pack.  We will have to set down and do some talking at the Classic.  We are planning a 12 day trip. 

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 01:41:58 pm »
Clint , I always tried to get my pack weight under 40#. One of the things that I would change is to study my diet more, I always lost 15 to 20 # in 10 to 15 days. Burning way more calories then I could consume, Always thought I would get stronger but the Mts got there own ways, I just plain got weaker and wore down , loved every minute of it. I killed a 5x5 bull with a 48# recurve. Last time I was in the Flattops was in 2001 same time the World Trade Center went down, didn't know anything about it until a week after. Took my son that yr . and wished I would kept going back. Have ya picked an area yet? Bob

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 01:51:19 pm »
We are looking at unit 74 or 42.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 10:58:46 pm »
Get in real good shape - then get in better shape!  You will. Be working with at least 1/3 less oxygen in the air and a lot less humidity.  Those are both pretty rugged areas,  42 not quite as bad and also right along I-70, so a bit easier to get to.  If I remember correctly, both are about the 6,000-8,000' elevation level with a lot of straight up and straight down.  You can get area maps that list public and private lands.  Expect temperatures in September to be in the 80's during the day and below freezing at night, and dry conditions, unless there is an early blizzard!  If we get a "normal" rainfall, and feed is available, the elk will likely be up high.  Area 72 is in a severe drought right now, 42 isn't much better.
Good luck and good hunting!  I should be getting some info from CPW soon regarding forecasts, so I will try to relay any pertinent info.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 05:23:46 am »
Thank you Hawkdancer

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 08:34:17 am »
I went years ago and the day before season the government buzzed the herds with choppers to break them up. That screwed us good so I would call and see if the still do that.  Prepare to go thtu all 4 seasons, bring hard candy to help with altitude sickness and bring your trout rod.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 09:04:53 am »
I don't own a trout rod or any fly fishing gear JEB. 

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 10:11:33 am »
We had lots of grey jays (like blue jays) come into camp and steal food so we tossed chip out for them and shot at them.
 Never hit one but had fun shooting so bring some flu flus. The fish pole was just one of the things I brought as some of us did some trout fishing during the day. Make sure you have some good hiking boots. LL Bean rubber bottoms won't cut it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:16:46 am »
Clint, I had about 8 months to train for my trips out to Colorado with Kenneth(Little John) in 2006 and 2010. I hiked a lot with with my backpack increasing the weight a little as I went. I was fortunate to live at 2600' and could train up on the Blue ridge Parkway which is at 5000' and up to Black Balsam Knob at 6200'. Not the 9000' to 10,000' we hunted at but it was an advantage. By the time I left for Colorado I was carrying about 60# in my backpack. I think we had about 40# in our backpacks when we went in. Kenneth had hauled in our camping stuff on horseback the 2 weekends before so that was a big help also. I think we hiked in about 4 miles from 10,000' down to 9000' the first trip and 9500' the second trip. Depending on your elevation, weather and temps cane change quickly in the mountains.
 Wool is your best bet for comfortable cloths even if it isn't all that cold. We had moderate temps with afternoon showers but our trips were in late August and early September. I bought German Army surplus wool pants cheap from Cabellas or Sportsman's Guild.
 Water purification is important if you can't carry potable water. Hand pump water purification is reasonable and easily packed. I have a hand pump you welcome to use. All you'll have to do is replace the filter.
 We carried homemade granola that was my mid day(actually all day snack) meal. Lots of calories and tastes good.
 On our 2nd trip, Kenneth set up his wall tent with a small wood stove. That helped a lot to dry wet cloths.
If I think of other things I'll let you know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 10:43:55 am »
Thanks guys.  I've been thinking about packing food and snacks.  I planned on making a lot of deer jerkey.  Good idea on the flu flu arrows JEB.  I have a few pair of Keen hiking boots to take.  They are the most comfortable that I've found.  I hadn't thought about a water filtration system Pat.  I'll look into those. 

I've been researching binos, tents, packs, and all kinds of other supplies I'll need.  Looks like I better start picking up some overtime to pay for all of these goodies.   Hiking equipment is expensive.  Some of the back packs I looked at were well over $300.   

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 10:48:30 am »
Along with all the fitness stuff, learn to call, and practice a lot, and use a diaphram call. Once I started elk hunting with a bow, I don’t even archery deer hunt anymore unless an elk is killed, then the rest of the season can be for deer. Elk hunting is so much more exciting. You are going to have an awesome time, and good luck.
Eric

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 10:49:43 am »
Don’t skimp on the pack. If it’s not comfortable, your days can be miserable.
Eric