Author Topic: Elk Hunting advice  (Read 13348 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Elk Hunting advice
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 03:34:47 pm »
Well I started conditioning today.  I followed our creek bed to the bottom of the hill and then hiked back up the road.  It's a fairly steep hill and about a mile long.  I kept a good pace and felt really good when I was done.  I'm going to keep doing this and will add more distance to the hike.  Then I plan on adding weight to a pack once I get one. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 06:09:19 pm »
Well, when you think you're in shape bring a couple of staves to work on and come sleep on my couch for a week  ;D

The Pajarito Plateau my house is on on is about 7500 feet with the mountains in the background peaking at just over 11200 feet at the caldera (according to wikipedia).   We'll get your hemoglobin up where you want it.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:58 pm »
Guess I better re-read my brochure!  I'm supposed to know all that stuff!  That is area 23, 24?  White River NF, Oak Ridge SWA.  We went there one time.  Found out our Cow tags were for another area, some other folks got a 5 point bull just off he main road.  Nice country if it isn't a blizzard!  Good fishing in Lake Avery, Ihear.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 05:06:07 am »
We hunted 24 but could hunt 23 and 30 I think it was. Ya good fishing on White river and also Big Fish lake where we spike camped some. We had cow or bull , the bull had to have at least 4 on one side or a 5 inch brow, mule deer we could kill doe or any buck with no restrictions on rack. Glad to hear you are starting early Clint if you stay with it you should be ready for sure. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 07:18:46 am »
Pappy, unit 24 was my ole stomping grounds, Went in at the South Fork of the White River. All wilderness area in the Flat Tops, Had some really great times in the yrs that I went, The primitive camping was great and killing elk is just frosting on the cake. We mainly hunted in the 9000 to 10000' That will get your lungs to workin seeing that I live at about 1500'. Clint, pace yourself so as not to burn out on the workouts, You want to peak just when the season starts, Push to hard and nagging injurys set ya back. Bob

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2019, 11:50:10 am »
Don't skimp on the backpack!  I suggest going to a store like REI, or a mountain shop.  I still have the Vector 1 rucksack that I bought when I was in Special Forces in the early 80's, it fit well and could hold a lot more than I could carry!  I could probably still make 35# on the flat ground!  Add weight gradually!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2019, 04:38:41 pm »
I hiked 3 miles today.  I went to the very bottom of the hill and then turned around and headed uphill.  I used my car GPS to track my distance and time.  I cut the head off my 3 & 5 woods and used the shafts as a trekking poles.  I couldn't hit those clubs straight anyway.  I'll get more use out of them this way.  I'll get a set of collapsible poles for the trip. 

Offline JEB

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2019, 07:18:51 pm »
You golf but don't fish? What's up with that, lol. I tried golf once but I cussed too much.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2019, 07:58:05 pm »
I started playing golf when I was about 9 years old.  I play about twice a year now.  I used to fish a lot too.  Just not fly fishing. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 12:17:40 am »
Never been able to figure out why those folks are smacking little white balls on my running course!  Haven 't fly fished in a long time, my split bamboo fly rod disappeared!  Done a big of spinning rod stuff, though!  Here, fishy, here, fishy! )F( >:D!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 09:30:28 am »
I hiked 3 miles today.  I went to the very bottom of the hill and then turned around and headed uphill.  I used my car GPS to track my distance and time.  I cut the head off my 3 & 5 woods and used the shafts as a trekking poles.  I couldn't hit those clubs straight anyway.  I'll get more use out of them this way.  I'll get a set of collapsible poles for the trip. 
I sure hope you don't peak to early.   ;D
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 10:04:12 am »
I'll try not to Bill.  Right now I'm just really excited about going and I'm trying to take advantage of decent weather.  I won't be doing anything outside for the next few days that's for sure.   (S)

Offline JEB

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 02:28:46 pm »
I only wet fly fish with spinning  gear.  We caught some trout in the stream one afternoon. Made for a good lunch. It was just a thought although it would cut into knap time. You will see what I mean by that,lol. You will have a great time. I did the two years I went out there. If I was younger and my wife was healthy I would plan a other trip.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2019, 12:27:31 am »
Ya supposed to get some White stuff Clint  O:) ? Be careful Bud  (S) - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 12:09:29 pm »
I checked a big item off my equipment list. I picked up this military issue Molle II rucksack for $30 from a local guy selling it. It's in good shape and fits me well. I ordered 2 sustainment pouches that connect to the sides for $18. I can get a lot of accessories and repair parts are available if needed.   This thing should be plenty big enough for an overnight stay on the mountain.