Author Topic: Raccoon Hat  (Read 2054 times)

Offline ksnow

Raccoon Hat
« on: January 16, 2019, 05:48:54 am »
Hi all,

Finally got around to using some the raccoon fur I caught my first year trapping. Fashioned this hat, inspired by the trapper hats of the 19th century. I want to add some sort of decoration to the front, either a quilled or beaded rosette and maybe two small feathers on the top. I'd love to wear it trapping, but I'm a little afraid of getting shot. I know my cur dog is not sure what to make of it.

Kyle

Not sure how to fix the sideways pic, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:41:17 am by ksnow »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Raccoon Hat
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:17:49 am »
Cool Kyle.....Nice use of your hard work.Remembering the way the fur lays when cutting out makes it look very nice.With coon prices at a low it makes good sense.Nice viser on yours there.You have a nice edge beaded on that too.
Years ago I made many hats and made a hat for my Dad then too.We each had vests made then too.After my mother died he lived in his place on his own.When shopping for groceries he would wear both vest and coon hat.Their so warm I would'nt wear mine unless it was at least below freezing.
Doing a rosette on brain tan then sewing it onto it will work.Jazzes it up nicely I'd say and it'll keep you warm.
I had a way of measuring for heads to fit for anyone who wanted one made.I took a string went around my or their head just above eye brows and in ear to head connection.Measured that and added 1/2" for flannel ling/divided that in two for 2 4" bands.Then cut an egg shaped circular piece matching total length.Remembering the formula for pi helps here.Diameter times 3.14 gives you total circumference length.Flaps for a mounty style could be sewn on too then if wanted.
It usually took a coon of fairly good size to get a hat from a single coon.At least 20 pounds or so.
PS....Usually there is an option coming up when clicking onto picture asking whether to rotate right or left for sideways pics.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:51:05 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:21:35 am »
Very cool. That's bringing it around full circle my friend. Set the trap, catch the critter, make him into a useful tool. I like that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:45:35 am »
BowEd, Sounds like the same pattern idea I used here, two 4 inch strips with an oval top. I used two hides, so each side strip came from the back, right behind the head of both skins, and the oval came from the rump of the larger hide. It has a buckskin liner, and the bottom edge is bound with red wool, hard to see though. These were prime WI hides.

PD, that's what I believe in, full circle. Still not sure what to do with possum furs though.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:24:16 am »
Possum furs would make nice, fleece lined hand muffs.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 10:11:21 am »
PD, yes,that they would and they are almost a winter camoflouge pattern to boot. Hmm, I see a trend starting.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:20:00 am »
I get one :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:28:15 am »
I see.You used the center cut from each hide.That looks good too and your coon had some nice color to it.When making a vest or coat that is done but only 6" wide strips are used.If coon is big enough[that's usually a length issue] I make center line down spine/go 4" either way for the strips for a hat.Get the oval top from rump area like yours then too.I've put the face of the coon on front many times.In my area usually it takes a coon that's at least a 2 year old to be big enough.
What kind of leather did you use for viser?
If possum is furred out nice enough anything can be made really but their more limited as far as size goes though compared to a big old coon and more are needed then.More like the size of a skunk really.It takes a pretty big skunk to get one hat from.The old coon is hard to beat though.Quivers/possible bags and pouches are easily made from them.
What kind of a year did you have trapping?Probably different animals other than opossum and coon.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:47:51 am »
Love it Kyle. I'm looking to do more of that to. You do very nice work
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:12:51 am »
Nice hat, love it. :)
 pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:15:03 am »
Nice hat!  I hope you wear it at Marshall.   I wouldn't be able to wear that around my dogs.  They would never stop barking.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ksnow

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:52:22 am »
Thanks everyone,

BowEd, I had a slow year trapping, just kind of getting back into it after a few years off. Ended up with raccoons, possums, and muskrats. I am still setting for coyotes, mink and otter. Our weather has been less than pleasant, I think the animals are a tad confused as to what they are supposed to be doing.

PD, now I might have to try to catch another possum. Seems I catch more when I am trying for other targets.

BJ, just dive in and try it. There is definitely a learning curve. I'm mostly self taught, I started this stuff before the internet. Feel free to ask questions, I'd love to help.

OO, as longs as the weather cooperates, I'll wear it at Marshall. Its pretty warm though, couldn't imagine wearing it for long much above 40 degrees.

Kyle

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 09:45:09 am »
Nice work Kyle... love the edge beading too, thats not easy to do
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline ksnow

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 10:14:06 am »
BowEd, forgot about the visor. It is some heavy veg tanned leather. I got a box of scraps from a shoe company, and I think it is sole leather.

Stix, even harder through the tough leather I used. Give me braintan or wool any day for beadwork.

Kyle